Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Spark, only when starting

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 09:03 PM
poolphilter
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Spark, only when starting

I have an '87 924s which i recently swapped motors from a burned up '87 944. The car runs great, but does not start on its own, or without a shot of ether in the intake. i first thought it was a fuel problem, but everything has to be ok because the car runs fine. i then hooked a spark plug test light to one of the spark plugs to find that it has a VERY weak/ no spark when Im turning it over, but as soon as i give it a shot, it fires right up and sparks bright and strong. The tiny spark when starting must only ignite the starting fluid because its so damn flamable. I moved the enging speed sensors closer to the flywheel, actually as close as it could go, and it seemed to make it a little better, but still no good. I've tried everything I could think of but unfortunatley i dont know that much about Porsches, this is my first one. maybe i hooked something up backwards or something, i dunno. I am so close to being able to drive this car but this problem is holding me back!! Someone PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!
Old 09-12-2004, 03:14 AM
StupEd05
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Weak spark? Replace/test the usuall, coil/cap/rotor/wires/plugs and grounds. I am going through the same problem, except I am thinking its fuel related, yet does not start up on ether either. hmm...
Old 09-12-2004, 05:00 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You say you swapped motors. Which wiring harness, DME (computer brain), and AFM are you using? Can we assume that your using all the major engine parts from the 944? If not, what did you exchange? The flywheel sensors should be gapped properly, if not, that could contribute to starting problems. Check out this link for help with gapping them.
[URL=Clark's Garage [/URL] ]Clark's Garage

Are you sure of the quality of the main ground wires at battery box, and firewall?

Quick Reply: No Spark, only when starting