Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT : Sport Bikes

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2004, 08:41 PM
ljd-924SE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've seen a lot of good 600's go for $4000. i only payed $2500 for mine, but it had been laid down and needed some cosmetic work. the kawasaki was very good to me, but go for a suzuki GSX-R 600cc if you can find one.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:50 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's hard to find a nice $4000 bike with good bodywork and nothing bent.
No it isnt, if you want a 1 year old bike it may be but if you are willing to sacrifice 2 HP and some color options and go back 2-3 years you should have no problem.

make sure you get good gear, it is worth every penny.
Coupled with the picture that is almost laughable. No gloves and jeans! Did you know that denim will actually become part of the skin and fibers have to be removed one by one? Did you know that the most dangerous part of falling is the cartwheeling that can occur? Did you know that denim will cause that more than any material known to man! In an ideal world you would wear leathers whenever you ride. IF you fall (I should say when) you will be able to "skip" across the ground which will keep arms and legs in their proper sockets Oh, nice Smokin' Joes CBR!!

You won't find a decent sport bike for 2 grand, because decent ones really hold their value.
Virtually no bike holds any resale value. Within the first 60 days you are likely to see no more than 60% of your investment. Mid 90s CBRs and FZR600s (YZF600s as well) are smoking bargains. Many can be had for less than 2K. I will sell you my 1996 FZR600 for less than 2K if you can come up with cash.

If you have never ridden before, no matter what anyone says -- go take a class.
YEP, statistics on non-trained riders are just scary.

Lastly, do a search for this kind of thing by Bryan McCoy, he has posted numerous times (as have I) about this topic. There should be plenty to read.
Old 09-11-2004, 08:59 PM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I aslo researched this a while back, as I am interested in sport bikes as well. An older Honda CBR F3 is a really good bike to start with apparently. It has good power and handling, but is not crazy fast like the new 600's. It's still fast(11.28 1/4) Its a carburated bike, not fuel injected, so if you accidently just mash the throttle, it will bog for a second before it rev's to the moon and you loop it. CR's bike is an F3 right???

When I was looking on some of the sportbike forums, they strongly don't recomend starting on a modern 600. Too much power, and that's why so many are wrecked.

Get full gear, everything. Gloves, pants, boots, helmet, jacket. The road is like sandpaper on steriods, and if you go down without gloves, you may lose the hand.

All this info is just what I found when searching for a bike, I am 16, so I don't have one. My parents aren't too big on the idea.
Old 09-11-2004, 09:06 PM
CR
Instructor

I do most definitely use gloves. I had actually just gotten some new gear (the jacket and boots) and was just taking a picture of the new stuff. I always wear all my gear, even today in the 96 degree heat. I'd rather be hot than dead.

The wearing jeans thing is bad, I know, and I have read about the jeans material becoming one with you. But it is just my own laziness of not wanting to wear leathers, so I will reap the consequences if they should come.

I have heard the "you will lay down your first bike" thing so many times. Maybe I just slipped through the cracks, because this is my first bike, and after six years I have never layed it down (knock on wood). There have been close calls, but no falls.

I totally agree with taking the classes to learn how to ride, too. That is great advice.

Take care.

CR
Old 09-11-2004, 09:58 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Take a look at a 99 up Kawasaki ZRX1100-1200. Good solid all around bike more upright seating position and not covered with expensive plastic. You can find a clean, under 10,000 mile bike in the $3-4,000 range.

ZRXOA.com is a good site for more info.
Attached Images  
Old 09-11-2004, 10:20 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

There are 2 kinds of riders: those who have crashed and those who will crash. As many others have said, buy (and always wear) the best gear you can.

As far as the bike goes, you get what you pay for (just like P-cars). Most recommendations are reasonable but don't overlook the Euro bikes available. Older Ducatis, BMWs, and Moto Guzzis are usually well maintained and can be had for a decent price. I am especially partial to the Duc---there is nothing like the sound of an Italian V-twin thundering down the road at 8000 RPM.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:22 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Older Ducati's, while cool, are about as expensive as bikes get to maintain. They are very much like 951, they can be had cheap but they cannot be properly maintained cheap.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:36 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Matt, if you're serious about your offer for your bike I might be VERY interested in the winter or spring.
Old 09-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Ryan Z
Pro

I recently got a Ducati Monster 620ie. good first bike. I LOVE it. Too bad I have to leave it and this country in a couple of weeks.
my bike
Old 09-11-2004, 10:47 PM
Matt H
Race Director

I am very serious. Let me know when you are interested. Last payment is due in April. Any time before then the price is about 1.8K (needs a battery but I will get you one), after that it will go up a little because of the season. You can ride it, if you have a license, any time just let me know so I can replace the battery and have the carbs cleaned.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:54 PM
ttwirz
Racer

I've had two bikes. my firsty was a Katana 600. i had neaver road a bike before. I took it slow and use comon sence. As with all fast things you need to think about consiquenses if things go south. I eventually gor a GSXR 600. loved it. I sold my GSXR to buy my 88 944. I figured I road for 14 years with no incedent so it was time for some thing new. A good 600 will do all you need it to. I had Suzuki but I think all the Japanies bikes are solid. Differences in performance are minute. You will neaver be able to use all their performance on the street. Ducs are awsome but maintance is not cheep. If I ever ride again thats what I;ll be sitting on. Good luck and AWAYS where a helmin. (no helmit law here in MN)

-T
Old 09-12-2004, 12:15 AM
ahofam123
Burning Brakes

For some good books on the subject, check out "The Idiots Guide to Motorcycles" and "Proficient Motorcycling" (I think that that's the title). Although all riders can benefit from both books, I have found that the Idiot's Guide is geared slightly more towards beginner riders while Proficient Motorcycling is geared slightly more towards the experienced rider. I forget what the exact percentages are, but I believe that it is something like 80% of the beginner riders drop their bikes within the first 20 miles. Although I have never dropped my street bikes, I have dropped a dirtbike and my two brothers have both dropped their street bikes. To echo what has been said before, buy the best gear that you can afford. As Indian Larry proved two weeks ago, you can never be too skilled or too cool for safety gear.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:39 AM
adie
Pro

GSXR1100 oil cooled, original sport bike, not that I'm biased. Had a fireblade but it was a bike my gran could have ridden, boring and reliable. The v-max was fun but not round corners, and for out right rudeness an RG500 stage 2, a two stroke light bike able to kiss the other side of 150mph with ease. For my money an old ZXR750 H2 would be a great first hack.
Old 09-12-2004, 01:57 AM
KenC
Addict
Rennlist Member

I own a 94 Ducati 900 Supersport SP and absolutely love the bike. Paid $5,000 for it. Have put a bunch of money into it as well. Worth about $9,000 + now. You are correct about the high maint. costs. Valve jobs are not cheap and have to be done often, if you care for it properly. The big difference that Ducati makes over other bikes are they tend to keep and hold value better than Japanese productions. I believe in buying something and keeping it, unfortunetly if this is your first bike, learn on something smaller first, then trade. And trust me it won't take you long before you'll be wanting something bigger! Ducati's get better with age...I have a 10 year old bike and pull up to a light and all the new Jap bikes want to look at mine! Plus the dry clutches make for great conversations and a neat sound when riding. Nothing better!
Old 09-12-2004, 02:45 AM
StupEd05
Pro

Wow, no one mentioned the Hayabusa? I have a friend with one, while definitely not a good first bike, those things hual some serious ***! And can be had from ebay for around 4.5 and up. I think people sell them cheap cause they can scare the **** out of you!

Quick Reply: OT : Sport Bikes