Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dinged wheel/tire?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004 | 10:10 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Default Dinged wheel/tire?

The nice thing about freshly-painted wheels is that they make it easy to spot where you dinged the wheel after cutting the apex on that ramp a wee bit too close.

Anywho, I was going around a ramp at about 15-20 mph when I clipped the curb. Not sure why, but there is something about that ramp that makes me want to hit the curb. Tonight, I was successful.

There doesn't appear to be any significant damage to the wheel, aside from the paint getting rubbed off. It would appear that the tire managed to get deflected around the wheel because of the paint that is now smeared on the sidewall. So my concern now is what is the likelihood that I damaged something inside the sidewall? I'd hate like hell to have something like that happen since I haven't even had them on for two weeks, but I also don't want to have it blow out on me down the road. Any thoughts?

If it matters, they are Dunlop SP 8000s, 195/55WR-14s, and the car drove fine on the rest of the drive home (~20 miles, speeds up to 75-80. Hey, this is DC! ). And yes, technically this is off-topic, but I'm sure this info would be relavent to us 944 guys, too.

Thanks,
BB.

Last edited by BeerBurner; 02-07-2023 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-08-2004 | 11:17 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

It's hard to get a sense from the picture. From your post, I gather that that's a mark on the tire, not a split in the rubber?

I'd probably err on the side of replacing it, but you'll usually see the sidewall start to goose egg / swell at the point of impact fairly quickly (like, within 50 miles) if there's a problem.
Old 09-08-2004 | 11:31 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Yeah, the mark is from the paint on the wheel. I've had about 100 miles on it since and no problems.

BB.
Old 09-08-2004 | 11:31 PM
Matt H
Race Director

1) Tire was GROSSLY underinflated or you did more than "graze the apex"

2) Watch it carefully the most common problem is a sidewall break, it will appear as a large bubble on the outside of the tire.

3) My inclination is that it should be replaced but I would probably watch it for a few days just to see if a bubble appears. If it doesnt you *might* ride it out. There is no way to tell from the picture.
Old 09-08-2004 | 11:45 PM
KuHL 951
Hey Man
Rennlist Member

Can't tell from the photo but after replacing two tires on CC's lately here's my take. My one rim was obviously bent, deflated the tire but I can't see any tire damage. I replaced the tire anyway.
2nd rim had a slight deformation in the flat part of the rim, tire had a definite sidewall bulge that showed up more if you pressured the tire to 40psi...I replaced that tire obviously. I would up the pressure and check that sidewall area well, the rim looks fine. If no bulge appears drop back to normal tire pressure and keep an eye on it, especially after higher speeds on the freeway on a hot day. Maybe it will be OK, doesn't look as bad as my little diaster.
WLTB 2 cookie cutters if anyone here has a pair in decent condition.
Old 09-09-2004 | 07:48 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Well, the pressure is at 29 psi, which is where I normally keep it, and 2 psi above what the manual says.

And what I meant when I hit the curb is that it was at a very low angle of attack, and not even remotely "square". Hell, I clipped it with the rear wheel and not the front.

Anywho, over 200 miles later and no sign of any bubble or anything. I also pumped it up to 42 psi and still nothing. I guess I'll just keep an eye on it.

Thanks for the replies, guys!

BB.

Quick Reply: Dinged wheel/tire?