Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slew of mishaps

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 05:39 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Micah Jones
The best thing you can do is repair and restore.

It could very easily be the worst thing. We can justify the repairs all-day as being age-related, technology-related, etc. and those reasons are largely true. I certainly was not arguing that I don't think it's worth it - otherwise I wouldn't be in this game either. However, one can easily pump every bit of money earned into "repairing and restoring" and have a catastrophic failure the next week... only to find the funds may not be available because of the fancy stereo and 968 mirrors that were just purchased.

That having been said, these cars can and will bite you when you least expect it. A belt can slip, a ring and pinion can go, a clutch center can explode and the list goes on and on. This can happen with a lot of vehicles - but with the 944 there are a lot of variables. It doesn't matter if they are age-related, design-related, whatever... what matters is that they can and do occur and that they can easily lead someone to financial ruin.

For each mishap listed (and as everyone knows there are many, many more things that can go wrong) then you are talking about 1/2 the vehicle's value in repairs. In more than a few cases, the repairs cost more than the value... and let's not think about the down-time associated in dealing with the problems as well.

I cringe every time I see someone on a limited budget who is dependent upon a 944 as their sole means of transportation. If the car goes, the ability to get to work goes. If the ability to get to work goes then the job goes... and after that it's more than a little difficult to get back on your feet.

Of course, if you have other vehicles, relatives helping you out, etc - it's not an issue. However, there are a lot of folks out there for whom this is not the case and that's more than a little bit scary.

I would keep 2-3k readily available if I had a 944 (NA or otherwise) as my only driver. If I couldn't do this, then I would make a serious effort to have another car in reserve.

Micah
Truer words have not been spoken.

I agree wholeheartedly.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:43 PM
Dalilean
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a simple explanation to my wife about my car fund.
Take into acount the monthly payments of a new car. I decided to pay them to my parts dealer and my mechanic instead of the bank.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:30 PM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like that Dalilean! My excuse as well
Old 09-07-2004, 09:31 PM
chitown928s4
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well my first 4 months of ownership were worry free since then ive had to do the following

1. Replace Headers (were cracked)
2. Replace Fuel Pressure Regulator

Thats about it... but now I have 2 more problems Rack is leaking needs replacing and my Heater control valve needs replacing. This is my daily driver but have an 01' Nissan Frontier SC4x4 as back up which just sits and collects dust till I have to make a delivery of biggers signs that wont fit in my NA. Things could be much worse but the PO did spend like 6-7k whick i have receips for the past few years. So I knew she was in good shape. I didnt buy this car to sit around. I knew i wanted something I could drive the hell out of. I bought with 103k in late April. I now have 116K. Do the math the 2 probs and current ones arent too big a deal. If something else go wrong now. I'll be pretty disappointed but still very happy with my car.

Quick Reply: Slew of mishaps