Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fans not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 08:30 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fans not working

are there any other cooling fan switches other than the one in the radiator? i replaced my switch along with my thermostat about 10,000 miles ago. about a year ago, my passenger side fan cut into my radiator hose and the fan stop working. just last weekend, the drivers side fan stopped working. i tested them straight from the battery and they both work. i dont really want to rig my car up and have a switch.....but i was hoping i could fix it like i did for my svo, have a power wire come from the coil(only has power when the key is turned), but apparently the two systems work differently. please help, 8im stinking up my mach driving it to my sweaty job!
Old 09-05-2004, 09:52 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Kenny, there's also a fuse for the fans, and a fan relay. If you have the owner's manual, there's a chart on page 69, I believe.
Old 09-05-2004, 06:26 PM
Kevin Baker
Drifting

First guess sounds like the fan relay. But I'd be sure to check all the fueses as well. When the motors (bearings inside) go bad, they will run of a jumper from the battery because once the bearings have failed, the motors will run, but will draw an excessive amount of amperage from the circut. The fuse is supposed to protect the circut as a whole, but it is possible that the spike in amperage could damage the relay as well.
Old 09-05-2004, 07:20 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

so my fans ARE actually bad, but can still be used? i think when i was checking in my haynes manual, i found the two fuses for the fans(for 85+) was at 10 and 15. ill check. my car is an early 85, mine should be the fuses and relays at the same spot under the dash right? thank you guys for your help.
Old 09-05-2004, 09:05 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

The fans themselves should be fine. It's just the circuit that apparently is not turning them on for some reason.

On the early cars, yes, the fuse and relay box is under the dash, driver side. There should be 2 fuses. One for the low fan (the one that keeps going when you turn off the car) and another for the second fan, which works with the A/C turned on.

Check the relay as well. You can take the plastic housing off carefully to inspect the inside and see if it's burnt out.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:23 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

well when i checked them to see if the jumper wires from the battery would turn them on(yes they work).....the next weekend, i start the car, and the next 3 days they work fine. drove it today and they arent coming on again. i thought maybe i rubbed off corrosion when i tested them....so today after cooling down, i rechecked just my fuses, and took the plugs on and off again to check for corrosion. still never came on, but after i switched back to my new car, and pulled the 944 into the garage, the passenger side fan finally kicked on. can a relay go in and out like that or does this sound like a wiring problem?
Old 09-08-2004, 10:55 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Sounds like the relay.

Quick Reply: fans not working