Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Instrument Cluster busted!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 11:15 PM
bull4u2me
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help! Instrument Cluster busted!

When I purchased the car (a year ago, late 85 944 automatic) the speedometer and odometer weren't working, everything else (tacho, fuel gauge, temp gauge, oil pressure and lights) worked. I could roughly judge my speed based on the tacho reading (approx speed = twice tacho reading)

I had a few weird moments in between. Around 3 weeks ago the speedo & odo magically came back to life, but they would clock only AT STANDSTILL. This problem disappeared after a day. I assumed there was a short circuit or something.

Now, nothing works. The tacho stopped working, fuel gauge, oil pressure, etc.... nothing works. Is there a fuse for the instrument cluster, or perhaps a relay or something? What could have gone wrong? I hate to make another expensive trip to the mechanic.
Old 09-02-2004, 11:49 PM
ckathens
Drifting

I'm no expert, but the first thing i'd do is check the grounds... Then check the fuses. You might also have a problem with the speedometer cable.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:21 AM
Spock 951
Intermediate

Check the fuses, and then the grounds. If neither the speedometer or odometer work, it is probably a bad connection. If only the odometer doesn't function, it is probably a broken odometer gear.

If you have a late '85, there isn't any speedometer cable. The speedometer is driven from a signal from the transaxle. At least on the manual trannys.

In any case, you can easily remove the instrument cluster to clean the connections, if the fuses and grounds are OK. Do a search of the forums to find the procedure. You may also want to look into fixing the light reflectors while you have it out, especially if your display is very dim at night. The reflective coating on the reflectors breaks down after several years, leaving you with a display that you can hardly read at night. There are several aftermarket repairs for this, many of them replacing the light bulbs with LEDs.

Keith
Old 09-03-2004, 02:38 AM
ckathens
Drifting

Oops good call Keith, i forgot that the late style 944's dont' have the speedometer cable anymore.

Quick Reply: Help! Instrument Cluster busted!