Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you know of someone who's 944 is down due to lack of funds???

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 06:39 PM
Predator
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Charity told you to clean out the damn garage, huh? Hey, give me a call. ---S---
Old 09-05-2004, 11:34 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Jeff, I feel for you. I just got my ultra-cheap "project 951 Porsche" and I have been driving her hard, since the belts/leaks were addressed. She just flies now! I still need to correct some minor suspension and interior concerns, now. Best of luck in 951 ownership!
Old 09-06-2004, 12:25 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks guys! I have a lot of spare glass pieces (I've always been concerned about the rear hatch getting busted - $1,100 at the dealer!) so I have two spares. I also have some spare lights; I'll probably have a pair of seats (vinyl though, but look decent) coming available in a few weeks. I also have a whole bunch of spare lights and assorted little stuff like interior trim pieces, a spare nippondenso a/c compressor, a spare coolant reservoir, etc.

I could use a couple of hoses that I've determined to be brittle - there are two that connect to the intake on the fuel rail side about 3/4" o.d. - both of these are looking pretty bad. The J-boot is pretty ratty too - getting brittle, so a new one of those would be good. I also discovered that I have no intake-to-head gaskets when I pulled off the intake today (that's kind of a disappointment to say the least), and that one of the injectors is cracked around the tip, so it will need replacing as soon as I'm able to.

I'll be posting pics of the turbo replacement - it was damn-*** hot here today - in the 90s, so I didn't get much done - I got the piping off and most of the "in the way" stuff out of the way, but the old dead turbo is still in at the moment - the oil lines are off and two of the exhaust crossover bolts are off - I'll get the thing on stands tomorrow, drop the pans and work on the other bolts EARLY am before it gets too hot to work. I also have to pull the intercooler and check for fragments of the turbo blades / metal shavings / foreign object that caused the damage.

The good news is I only found small pieces of metal shavings, most were caught in the oily sludge of the old turbocharger and in the pipes. There's no damage evident to the intake valves, looking in through the top of the head so that's good news. I didn't see any shavings in the intake chambers and stuck a magnet in there fishing around - nothing of significance came out, so that's good. I'd still feel better knowing exactly what caused the turbo to fail, but may never know. I guess when I pull the header / intercooler tomorrow and clean that out I'll know whether it's going to remain a mystery or not - I can't think of anywhere else the foreign object (assuming that's what it was) could be - other than through the engine, but I suspect I'd know that!
Old 09-06-2004, 03:21 AM
daniel951
Race Car

cars been down for about 5 months now and still trying to put her back together. The sad part is that i am buying the parts i need except they are being charge on my credit card so i don't exactly have the money.
Old 09-06-2004, 10:53 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Well, the battery on the Celica died on me this past weekend so it's looking more like an October 'project car will run' date than September unless the water pump and front end seals are looking remarkable or something. Might get lucky with the water pump, it was new when it was installed 1 1/2 years ago before the car sat. It seems to turn alright but I want a look at it from the other side. And the seals while I'm in there although I haven't seen the engine leak a drop and it shows no sign that it has in the past.

Quick Reply: Do you know of someone who's 944 is down due to lack of funds???