Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Appraisers

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 05:36 PM
Panacea
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Appraisers

Can anyone recommend a good car appraiser in the Tampa Bay area, specifically one that will know the difference between a 951 and a 951 S?

My insurance company has forced the valuation of my car into mediation, and the knucklehead they hired to appraise my car fails to believe that it's a Turbo S, even though I sent him the window sticker and had the VIN run at the local Porsche dealer. He said they were forged documents because Porsche never made such a car, and if they did, they would put an "S" on the back of it!

Thanks!
Old 09-02-2004, 05:38 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are a PCA member you can get a free valuation. It's a generic valuation but should give you a ball park figure on your car. Someone on this board probably already has one for an '88 turbo S, see if they'll send you a copy.
Old 09-02-2004, 06:00 PM
Panacea
Track Day

Unfortunately, I'll have to have someone actually look at my car to do the appraisal. That's the only way they'll accept the appraisal, and I want to eliminate any doubt.

Tomorrow will mark 7 weeks since I filed my claim!!!
Old 09-02-2004, 07:32 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

This is precisely why I hate insurance people. They nickel and dime you to freakin death. Why dont you tell the guy sicne hes in the automotice insurance business he read up Porsches a little bit more and get himself en education because he's obviously got his *** hanging in the wind on this one -- not knowing there was a Turbo S.

I think its also a good lesson for those of you who have Porsches with a value worth a decent payoff if the car is totaled. Agreed value insurance is really the only way to go, that way there's no riff raff when you need serviced the most and you are getting the payoff you expect. Its also a good peace of mind. You dont have to have a collector car insurance to get an agreed value policy. I think State Farm writes them. In fact, most will, you just have to ask for it, and it may cost you a bit more. But well worth it, espec. on niche sports cars like Porsches where supply and demand are the Evil Empire.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:39 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Give him some documentation, to prove you're not bs ing him like so many other customers he has. Such as the classified section of Panorama, with all the Ss for sale. Make it easy for him to believe you, and don't get angry...yet.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:19 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA

Oh man, I hope I don't have to deal with appraiser with my claim....

Anyways, technically speaking the appraiser might be partly right. IIRC, the 'S' part was an option package -- not an actual vehicle designation. What he fails to understand is how valuable that option package is. Heck, it's hard enough for enthusiasts to identify 88 S-cars.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:55 AM
84black944
Racer

So i could get a appraisal from the PCA for my 86 951. I am not a member but it came with the sticker on the back window
Old 09-03-2004, 02:01 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

Id doublecheck PCA to see if that particular year 951 is eligible for the PCA valuation. My 86 Turbo qualified, but they would not evaluate 88 930s. All they give you anyhow is a high/low and a median average. Still, I think they are fairly reliable and much more advantageous in this case then say Bruce Anderson who lowballs everything and thinks we all live in LA where theres a Porsche on every street corner.
Old 09-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Panacea
Track Day

I've supplied all the documentation, including the window sticker and a print-out from the local Porsche dealer on the VIN showing it as a Turbo S.

The appraiser's reply: the window sticker is forged, because they didn't use window stickers like that back then. What?!?

Soooo....I have to find someone competent to appraise it.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:04 AM
Dave
Race Car

I think you need to suggest that the insurance company find someone competent because the first guy they sent out doesn't know what he's doing.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:21 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

stop jacking around with someone accusing you of commiting a crime. suggest to the person you are dealing with that the file be elevated.

if you get nowhere with a new person suggest it go to arbitration. at arbitration you will be able to present your window sticker to the 'judge" who will decide if it is forged or not.

at the same time get a PCA valuation. that is a compilation of recent sales to give a rough idea of the value.

also go to www.sportscarmarket.com if the july issue is still the sample issue read my article in legal files. do a search, there is a copy of the article in this forum as well.

I sent a few people the spreadsheet i used to value my S2 when it was stolen. PM me with your email and i will send you what i used.

There are appraisers listed in the back of sports car market, but the editors dont think the 944 is a collectible/valuable automobile, so some members of this forum would argue that the appraisers and contributors to that magazine cant value a 944. you decide.

Quick Reply: Car Appraisers