Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT..looking for architect help

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 04:46 PM
s928s
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OT..looking for architect help

Maybe one of you guys ( gals) can help me. I have finally gotten the money together to build a house for the p-cars ( garage). I need to have a set of plans drawn up to submit to the township with the details on the structure....Willing to pay but not sure of the "going rate"

looking for elevation detail, wall structure and roof support. This much info i know so far.

structure is 24ft sidewall, 22ft front and rear walls, gabled front (22ft) with a 35 degree roof pitch to match the exsisting house. foundation needs to be 36" for frost line. 6 inch slab floor. door entry at right side wall 15ft from front corner. 2 rear windows (36x36) 36" from outside corners. 2 centered garage doors on front 8'x7'.

Let me know if anyone can help, thank you
Old 09-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Dalilean
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) The plans must be made by an authorized architect or engineer from your area.
2) If this is an adition to the house, you must coordinate the architectural elements to go with the rest, if not it will look like just that , an add on!
Old 09-01-2004, 06:50 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

One thing you might want to consider is using engineered wood i-beams for the ceiling of the garage. They will span your size without having to have that annoying post in your garage that would required if you used standard lumber.

Is this a detached garage? If it is, it sounds pretty simple. You could probably have the plans drawn up for a couple hundred dollars.
Old 09-01-2004, 08:49 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Call the local building codes people and ask them what the required certification is required to approve the plans. If they require a professional engineer or registered architect, they might be able to give you the names of local people who do that sort of structure. Then call around and ask for prices.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:01 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Most municipalities do not require stamped / signed drawings by a licensed professional for residential construction up to a certain square footage; there may be other exemptions based on type of use, valuation, etc. As a first step, I would meet with the planning department to see if they require any sort of design review and what their requirements are; if so, you'll need to get through them for preliminary approval before you can even get to the building department. In some communities, the two agencies are the same - in others, there may be no planning department approval required for residential. It's worth a call or trip to the town / city hall.

Planning review may or may not require a professional to prepare the documents; same with building department. Again, check with them. Also find out the filing fees - if you have the drawings prepared professionally, these fees will be billed to you by the architect as a reimbursible expense (usually). If not and you file yourself, you'll need to remit that payment along with the documents to the town / city clerk.

PM me with any questions, I might be interested in this. . .
Old 09-01-2004, 11:01 PM
peterjcb
Burning Brakes

I can only speak from my experience over the past 10 months in building my garage myself. My town really only required a plot plan which I drew up myself althought I did submit a set of plans which I purchased from www.coolhouseplans.com for $160.00. Your plans can change AS you are building as long as they are in compliance with the building codes, town rules and setbacks for your property. If you are in some kind of Historic District, they can place very stringent restrictions on what and how you can build.

Your building will be inspected as you reach different stages i.e.... footings, foundation, framing, electrical, plumbing etc. So you will have to be in compliance with everything to get your CO (Certificate of Occupancy).
I had to take a break from it right now but at least my cars are parked inside and out of the elements. I'll probably finish it up in the next 4-6 months
If you're going to build it yourself and want any advice just let me know. I did everything except lay the brick and put the shingles on.
And remember....it will ALWAYS cost you more than you think.

You can view my Garage Project HERE

Quick Reply: OT..looking for architect help