Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any "Zonies" out there? (or other hot climate)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2004, 01:43 AM
devils944
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any "Zonies" out there? (or other hot climate)

Hey all, just moved to AZ for work. I have been driving the S2 Cabriolet around (top up, AC on) for a week now. The temp seems to run in the upper normal range (the middle 3rd) during the day and just above the line in the middle 3rd at night, so I know the cooling is working fine. Where I am having problems is in the breathing area...it seems the car is not fond of sucking hot air, especially on asphalt where it is hotter. I have to gas it pretty good to not get a stutter. There are no acceleration problems and performance is fine, it's just slow moving streets and parking lots seem to make the car act strange. Any advice?
Old 09-01-2004, 11:38 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Might not be heat at all. I could be the wiper tracks on the AFM or possible a throttle position switch.

Describe the problem futher please.

Does it happen when you transition from no throttle to part throttle? If so then it could be throttle position switch issue. These switches are pretty dumb in that they read only no throttle, throttle open (undetermined amount), or full open throttle. It MIGHT be that the switch is not reading part open throttle cleanly when you transition from off throttle to on throttle.

The wiper tracks in the AFM can also wear causeing intermittent power problems.

PS... my 84 runs fine the heat. I can tell there is bit less hp on the drive home due to the A/C going and it sucking hot air, but no stumbling at all.
Old 09-01-2004, 05:32 PM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

My 944 works damn well in this heat. My a/c on the other hand,well it died in the beggining if july so i have just been rolling with the windows down, and course some excess use of speed. As far as temp goes i know mine is on the second line and i can recall only once when the temp. gauge went higher than a horizontal position.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:35 AM
devils944
Advanced

Default Arizona heat issue...detailed

For M758 : I am up in Glendale FYI

OK, I am having NO acceleration problems. I do get the usual AC drag, but the 3 liter powerplant seems to handle that well. Once I get on the road, all is fine. Where I get the hesitation is at very low RPM's in very hot areas. For instance, I drove down to the Glendale Arena for a Coyotes event on Sunday. No problems getting there or parking. I parked however, on the black asphalt for a few hours and when I restarted, with the engine just warm, it felt like it was laboring to stay running. Once I gassed it and went, it was fine. I just feel that it does not like sucking in that hot air at startup. I think I might try to start minus AC and see if there is a difference. Before I moved here, I basically went AC-less and topless almost 12 months a year. Maybe I am just handling the AC start wrong.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:38 AM
devils944
Advanced

Default Let me add...

The S2 intakes air from inside the nose and lengthwise. It may be taking a bigger gulp of air than the standard N/A
Old 09-02-2004, 08:04 PM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

As far as heat goes, do you have problems with your tires squeling during the mid-day too much? at night not a single sound from em, day time even a slow turn sounds like i'm taking it at 50+. My tires i know are not the best, so any recomendations?
Old 09-03-2004, 02:18 AM
devils944
Advanced

Default No squeal...

I get no squeal at high or low temps, but do have a tire issue...I am on Dunlop SP8000's and they are really good...but, when I am on the grooved highways (like 101 loop) the grooves dictate where I go. My treads and those lines don't mix.
Old 09-03-2004, 11:09 AM
M758
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by devils944
For M758 : I am up in Glendale FYI

OK, I am having NO acceleration problems. I do get the usual AC drag, but the 3 liter powerplant seems to handle that well. Once I get on the road, all is fine. Where I get the hesitation is at very low RPM's in very hot areas. For instance, I drove down to the Glendale Arena for a Coyotes event on Sunday. No problems getting there or parking. I parked however, on the black asphalt for a few hours and when I restarted, with the engine just warm, it felt like it was laboring to stay running. Once I gassed it and went, it was fine. I just feel that it does not like sucking in that hot air at startup. I think I might try to start minus AC and see if there is a difference. Before I moved here, I basically went AC-less and topless almost 12 months a year. Maybe I am just handling the AC start wrong.
Hmm,
That could be an idle stablizer valve issue. Do you have the A/C on when starting? If so always turn in off an start with the A/C off less drag on the system. When I get in my 84 after work it is hot and it starts up fine, but when I put the A/C on it drags a bit and idle drops off. It comes back, but it does not like start-up with the A/C going.

PS... I am in Avondale. Going to be moving to Anthem soon however. Wife and I got a new home up there closer to her sister.

Quick Reply: Any "Zonies" out there? (or other hot climate)