Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Good/Bad News Guys...

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 10:20 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Good/Bad News Guys...

The engine displayed in my Avatar, is no longer alive. After spending close to $4000 this past three months on this car alone- I have decided to cut my losses further, and sell the entire package. The details of the car for sale is below:

1986 Porsche 944
VIN: WPOAAxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Color: Stone Grey Metallic(LY7U)/Wine Burgundy interior
Trans: 5-speed/OD
Mileage: 182,153(odometer DOES WORK)
Rennlist Offer Price: $1500($1800/public)

Car received rebuilt 1983 euro-spec KS-Pierburg Alusil motor, running updated Bosch Motronic v.1.3 (w/ Hall-Sensor). Head unit and camshaft, is 1987 including 944 Turbo lifters. During break-in, motor began suffering from oil circulation problems, due in part to a small leak at the lower balance shaft seal/power steering junction, and incorrectly-installed(by machine shop) crankshaft main girdle. However, oil pressure displayed consistent .5bar at cold start/.3bar warm. The break-in oil(Castrol 10w-30) was changed at 400mi and showed no signs of metallic residue at the time. Break-in continued- using Castrol 10w-40 oil because of unseasonal high temperature conditons being forecasted. At this point, a slight vibration was observed above 3000rpm, with increased vibration felt at shifter, in fifth gear. At mile1000- the engine was starting to lose/burn about 1/4qt of oil daily. Vibration was corrected by re-adjusting balancer shaft pulleys, by -1 tooth. Adjustment resulted in minimal improvement of sonic/sensory vibration existent. Engine did idle much smoother- but a large vacuum leak began forming at mile1021. This was rectified by replacing the idle control valve (ICV)"s" hose with another new one. Additionally, sonic vibration was eliminated by slight modification of heat shield, at catalytic converter. The engine was beginning to idle smoother, and piston rings were seating well, evidenced by zero smoke emissions, as I continued to observe break-in driving habits, daily. At mile1201- the high-speed capabilities of the car resulted in a top achieved speed of 129mph @5200rpm, conducted when ambient temps were below 65degrees F. During the entire breaking-in of the motor- NOT ONCE did the coolant temperature guage touch the 3/4 mark on the dial(remained constant 1/4Low mark). The break-in distilled water/sulfite-free coolant mix was properly pressurized, with no signs of trapped air reading, which included a new thermostat, fan switch, and DME/ECU sender.

In summary- The irony of it all, was that this poor engine never realized its full potential. Thanks to AV Machine Shop, San Jose- I paid for...but never got the crankshaft perpendicularly-drilled, on the journals. I simply took their word for it. I paid for......but never got my KS forged pistons/conrods reconditioned. I found a new set of cast KS pistons- inside my engine instead. The crankshaft main girdle was never sealed with 574. My 87' head is now badly warped, and may be salvageable. They never followed Porsche's torque guidelines- even when they said EVERYTHING would be done OEM-spec. At this point- I dont have the negative energy to pull the motor again- much less bitch about the shady $2500 job, and litigate right now. You guys here could do me an immense favor by taking this much-beloved Porsche off my hands now. Sorry, I would otherwise LOVE to part this thing out to you all- but I am crunched, munched, and excreted over this matter I am facing now.

Zach
Old 08-29-2004, 10:30 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man a sweet deal but you are to far from me
Old 08-29-2004, 10:32 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I'll give you $300 for the wheels. PM me if interested.

Not interested in the make-believe motor...............

Quick Reply: Good/Bad News Guys...