Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

87 944 Automatic Transmission For Sale

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 05:26 PM
AJBERB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 944 Automatic Transmission For Sale

I purchased an 87 944 with 72,XXX original miles. The previous owner purchased the car in 1996 and gave it to his 16 year old daughter to drive. The same day the car was purchased, the timing belt broke (insert bad timing pun here). The previous owner then made a sizable investment into rebuilding the head. But, within a month or so after the rebuild, the daughter looped it driving into her neighborhood and hit a tree. The car was then drug into their garage and put up on jack stands.

Fast forward to 2004.

I talked to the owner about an 85 944 he had parked in the weeds and he mentioned the 87. So I bought them both. The 87 ran after a 3 hour oil change and after replacing the fuel. A little custom fabrication and the car runs AND drives under its own power. Runs and drives really good actually. Pics and video can be seen at http://home.insightbb.com/~ajberb/944.htm

Okay... Moral of the story is that I now have an 87 944 with irreparable body/frame damage, excellent interior, rebuilt upper engine, and automatic transmission. I am looking to sell the transmission and most of the interior components. This thread is for the transmission, but will entertain other interests. I am keeping the engine and suspension for another project. I haven't set a price because I am not sure what it is worth. I am sure that buying a used tranny is cheaper than fixing a broken one. Also, there should be enough parts to convert another car from manual to automatic. I know this is not typical, but preferred in certain situations. Let me know if you have any questions. Shipping/delivery is negotiable.

Quick Reply: 87 944 Automatic Transmission For Sale