Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best spark plugs and wires

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 01:16 PM
karlfrevans
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best spark plugs and wires

I need to change plugs and wires on my 951. What brand of plugs and wires provides the best value?
Old 08-29-2004, 02:16 PM
inactiveuser92616
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard the best 'value' as in, most affordable that will work, is reusing your old wire connectors on some bulk wire. If you want all new components, budget between $100-$140 for a good pair. The reason they are so expensive is because of the large (3k ohm) resistor on the plug boot.

as far as plugs go, All that I can say is stay away from platinum plugs, as they end up burning out our ignition coils.
Old 08-29-2004, 04:29 PM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

As far as the best deal on non-factory wires, many people use Magnacore, Apex seems to have the best price.

http://www.apexperformance.net/cartg...lag=3&brand=37
Old 08-29-2004, 08:12 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Best bang for the buck comes from the oversized wires that Paragon sells. They're cheaper than a stock set and have the correct ends. I've seen a number of posts that claim the magnacor or other aftermarket wire is just as good but when questioned, not a single poster has compared them to a GOOD set of wires (but they're better than the 10 year old wires they replaced ). Since my electrical AND electronics background tells me that the "non-beru" wires can NOT work as well (they're all based on a flawed idea), it's gonna take some proof (like maybe on a dyno) to convince me otherwise. Stick with Beru ends.
Copper makes the best plug, it's a better conductor than platinum. Platinum will last longer but will not provide as much spark as copper. 944 plugs are easy to get to and most of us don't mind changing them once in a while so the extra life of a platinum plug isn't a big deal. OTOH, platinum plugs cost a lot more so in spite of the extra life you aren't saving anything.
Multi-electrode plugs don't seem to work well in a 944, the theory is that they shield the spark too much. Single Electrode copper is the way to go. Pick any brand, I like Bosch, others don't, probably not a big difference.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:18 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Bosch Coppers for plugs. I swear BY them - not AT them like I did the plats. I need wires so I'd be interested in any good experiences as well.
Old 08-29-2004, 08:56 PM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Come on Chris, we know you loved your plat-4's!

FYI, the "Beru" ends that people are talking about work like this. The wire is designed with virtually no resistance in them. Resistance in a wire is a function of length, so in normal wires each cylinder would actually be seeing a different quality spark. The Beru ends provide all of the resistance at the end, essentially equalizing the spark in each cylinder.
Old 08-30-2004, 12:21 PM
karlfrevans
Advanced

You guys are the best. You saved me from buying those nice looking Bosch Platinum 4's. Also the Beru theory is wonderful. This board is the best! Thank you. Thank you. Thank you
Old 08-30-2004, 12:42 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Which is a better conductor - Copper or Silver? (thinking about the Bosch Silber plugs in my car right now...)
Old 08-30-2004, 12:44 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

y0 the Bling-A-Core wires at AutoZone are the shizz-at y0!!1! They give 10+ extra horspower OMFG R U serious!?!?!?
Old 08-30-2004, 01:12 PM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

ot.... will upgrading to an msd ignition add hp? what are the benifits to doing an msd upgrade.
i've read somewhere that the stock ignition is pretty well off w/o upgrades, but is there room for improvement and are the hp/$$ worth it or not?
tia
Old 08-30-2004, 02:07 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There have been measured differences of HP using NGK plugs on the Turbo cars. It wasnt much but enough to convince me to give them a try. After that I would probably use Bosch or Silverstone.
Old 08-30-2004, 02:59 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by smkn951
ot.... will upgrading to an msd ignition add hp? what are the benifits to doing an msd upgrade.
i've read somewhere that the stock ignition is pretty well off w/o upgrades, but is there room for improvement and are the hp/$$ worth it or not?
tia

There are ton of pots about the MSD ignitions(search) and a good write up on Pelican. The conclusions seem to support better spark, throttle reposne, and combustion but not much more power.

Foe example: https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ight=snake+oil
Old 09-04-2004, 04:22 PM
StupEd05
Pro

Um, I accidentally got plugs for a 3.0 (WR5DC) and I have a 2.5 83' N/A. Should they still work?
Old 09-04-2004, 04:34 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave
Best bang for the buck comes from the oversized wires that Paragon sells. They're cheaper than a stock set and have the correct ends. I've seen a number of posts that claim the magnacor or other aftermarket wire is just as good but when questioned, not a single poster has compared them to a GOOD set of wires (but they're better than the 10 year old wires they replaced ). Since my electrical AND electronics background tells me that the "non-beru" wires can NOT work as well (they're all based on a flawed idea), it's gonna take some proof (like maybe on a dyno) to convince me otherwise. Stick with Beru ends.
Actually, Grassroots Motorsports has conducted several dyno comparisons over the years and the Magnacor wires always done a bit better than other wires tested. Granted, some of the compared sets are what was originally on the car, but many times they have compared new wires to the Magnacors and the Magnacors still come out on top.

Also, the resistor ends, as ILP pointed out are to offer resistance to virtually resistance free solid core wires. Since spiral wound wires offer more resistance, in theory isn't it kind of stupid to put Beru ends on spiral wound wires? And isn't that how the wire sets Paragon sells are configured?

In addition, from what I have read, Beru ends and spiral wound cables are actually intended to supress EMI.
Old 09-04-2004, 06:52 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by StupEd05
Um, I accidentally got plugs for a 3.0 (WR5DC) and I have a 2.5 83' N/A. Should they still work?
Theyll be different lengths at least I would think.

Quick Reply: Best spark plugs and wires