Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Let's try this again.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004 | 04:55 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Post some pics Tom!
Old 08-27-2004 | 05:24 PM
M758
Race Director

Firstly, I hope this thread does not going spiralling down into the toilet.

So why do I like the 944? Warning long post comming

Well have 4 running examples that I like for many reasons.

Firstly
my 84 daily driver former concour car. It has 80k on it now and an excellent paint and interior. I replace the shocks and now it handles so well. Very smooth and comfortable, but yet tight and responsive. I think about turning and it turns. It is really so much fun to feel that low rumble of the engine and sounds during a perfect exceute heel&toe downshift for a right hander. The way it effortless moves around corners and feels like it never breaks a sweat. Very fun indeeded. And that is just my drive to work.

my 83 autocrosser. Well I got this as a parts car for not much over nothing. Put a little into it and it makes fine autocross car. Sure the paint is faded badly, the dash has more cracks than a california has fault lines, but heck the a/c actually works and even on stock soft springs It is blast around the autocross track. I run in street tires 100% stock and very rewarding. The way it handles and responds to my inputs and the balance. Of course I chuckle even more when I do well realizing I paid less for the car then 996 guy did for his last set of street tires. Ha! It is even more fun when I post a faster time too!

my spec racer.. Well what to say here. Yep I beat the snot out of the car. Sure things have broken, but given how hard I race it it just keeps on going. With a little work on it have gotten the car fast and balanced. Last PCA club race I was even nipping at the heels of some experienced F-stock guys. If they did not drive hard I would have been all over them. I really never imagined being able to do what I can on the track without this car. Sure it not so much that car is special, but everytime I want more from the chassis I seem find it somewhere. Yep it is special to me.

944 Turbo S ... Every time drive it chuckle to myself. It has all that the 944 NA has, but added to it is the power. Man lots of fun and way too easy to get big time trouble with it if I try to use it's capabilities on the road.

Yep all these cars and so much fun for such a reasonable price tag. Yep well worth it even when you figure all the little crap you have to deal with on older cars.

I really don't think there is a car out there today that match the 944 in terms of pure driviability at reasonable price.
Sure there is suff out that is more powerfull, but I just don't see them having the impecable performance driving road maners nor the ability stand up to a day at the track.
Old 08-27-2004 | 07:39 PM
GOBOGIE
Budding Photographer
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SamGrant951
I absolutely love my 51 for more reasons than I could write, I will always own it regardless of whatever else comes and goes. Me and Grethchen are 1. She had me at hello.
Sam, your quotes and pictures absolutely kill me!!! Don't ever change - OK but just your underwear

Cory
Old 08-28-2004 | 11:55 AM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by GOBOGIE
OK but just your underwear
Now there's a mental image I could have done without!
Old 08-28-2004 | 12:47 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Ooo! If Z-man posts, all 4 of the S2 owners with 968 wheels will be in this thread. Go 968 wheels!

I love the car because of it's balance. After driving my FWD VW for 4 months, going back to a 944 is like healing after a major injury. Words can't describe how much of an improvement the 944 is.

Also, is it normal to wake up at 3:00am to check on the car?
Old 08-28-2004 | 01:12 PM
Marc Gelefsky
Super Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Well my 951 may be gone but my 968 rims live on!

OT: Chipped my Audi S4 yesterday, holy crap!
Old 08-28-2004 | 01:16 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

I also love the car because it talks to me! Engine oil light went on today...seems I've been consuming a bit of the expensive Mobile 1 in the last 4k miles...1 quart.

Is that normal, BTW??
Old 08-28-2004 | 11:32 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

1 quart in four thousand. I would not worry.

GM said a quart every 500 was OK on a fresh replacement motor! but then again their customer service dept says they wont change the crank sensors until they can replicate an intermittent problem even though I got an e mail from their warranty division with a quote from the head of the northstar dept saying they changes suppliers because they were defective! great car, terrible support. i would say take it from where it comes, but the story is similar to the boxster, and ceramic brake stories floating around the porsche boards. they all stink!

Mazda said less than that, but it had oil injected into the combustion chamber and used a quart every three thousand.
Old 08-29-2004 | 04:58 AM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Default Repost of my heartfelt response from the original thread

(Since there was so much mudslinging going on during the original thread, I am reposting my passionate response to Luis' question. By the way, Tom, it's good to have the old Tom R. back! )

What is it that makes it so enjoyable to drive? There is a definite "je ne sais quoi," that is part of the puzzle, and the answer to the question is not one that is arrived at easily, as there are so many factors that are at play, many of which are subjective.

The most salient reason that makes the drive so enjoyable is the top-notch quality that these cars have. From the solid sound of gently suction when closing the door to the precision of the entire shifting mechanism to the 14-year-old paint job on my S2 that still sparkles, the car resonates with quality. Next, we come to the wonderful balance that these cars inherently possess, mated with their silky smooth powerplants. Also, they have lovely curves that are pleasing to the eye from most any angle, and these cars still receive more than their fair share of stares on any given day. Also, the aural delights the come from revving the engine to redline will keep one driving for "just a few more minutes" every time!

I could go on, but I will move towards driving home what I feel is the strongest reason. These cars have the Porsche crest, their badge of honor on the hood. When one hears the name "Porsche," one generally thinks of first-class quality and a sports car heritage that is second to none. Their reputation is sterling the world over, and this is not something that came about easily or happened overnight. Their sterling reputation was earned through hard work and a commitment to making automobiles in which each driver could experience "driving in its purest form."

Sure, there are some Porsche enthusiasts out there who are derisive about the entire 944 series (or any watercooler, for that matter), saying that they are not "true" Porsches. The problem is, someone forgot to tell Ferry Porsche that, as well as the Porsche executives who, at one time, secretly pushed for the 944 series to replace the 911. We know that it didn't happen, as legends are eternal, but that doesn't mean that 944 series of cars is not exceptional, and, in many ways, superior to the 911.

Personally, I am a big fan of the 911, and the sound of a Flat-6 is music to my ears, and one day I would like to own one, and if I were to sell my 944 series of cars, I could get either a 993 or a 996. However, when I first take ownership of a 911, one requirement of mine is that I have at least one 944 series car (preferably a 968 or 951) in my garage! As much as I appreciate the 993 and 996, owning one will not be at the exclusion of having one of these wonderful, user-friendly, superbly balanced machines in my garage.

Old 08-29-2004 | 06:06 AM
schadenfreude
Instructor

Well, I've had the car for around 6 months now, and I can't really put my finger on just what exactly it is that I love about my car. However, I can say that it still puts a smile on my face when I drive it, it gives me just as much enjoyment as it did the day I bought it. In fact, all weekend I've been looking for excuses to take it for a drive just to feed my addiction.
Old 08-29-2004 | 12:44 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

1 quart every 500miles?? That's kinda expensive, isn't it Tom? Sounds sloppy to me!
Old 08-29-2004 | 12:55 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

its a looong story andy. thats what they said when it was new. said give it six months to break in. came back six months and 15k miles later and they said tough nuts you went over the 12 mileage warranty. wrote to the president of the UAW and GM. got another new motor and sold the car to a former girlfriend that just moved into NYC when her celica was flipped by a drunk on the west side hwy.

Quick Reply: Let's try this again.