Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump/pickup install

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 11:20 AM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil pump/pickup install

With the oil pump, does anybody have any recommendations for things to fill it with in order to speed priming?

I torqued down the pickup, and it seems a little crooked. The side with the 10mm nut is sticking up a little higher than the side with the 8mm bolt, is this a common "how it is", or something that should be resolved? I torqued the 10mm nut to 50 Nm and the 8mm bolt to 20 Nm.

thanks,
Adrial...armed with mini torque wrench to get the oil pan on and have something that resembles an engine again.
Old 08-26-2004, 10:44 PM
Charlie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

adrial,
When I rebuilt my engine the oil pump I used was completely dry. I poured about 2 fl ozs of oil into the intake side with the pulley side facing down and turned the pully clockwise and pulled some oil through the pump. I then turned the pump over and let oil run out of the pump for several minutes. I then took a cloth and wiped any visable oil off the pump so as to not mess up my seal with the loctite 574. By doing this the pump was not completely dry.
Now that I told you I did this I really don't think it is necessary. After you install the pump you should be able to prime it by pouring some oil down the odd shaped hole beside the center hole where the oil filter attaches. You can pour oil into this hole and turn the engine counter clockwise and pull oil into the pump.

Quick Reply: Oil pump/pickup install