Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Raising a previously lowered 944

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2004, 04:47 PM
ZV
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raising a previously lowered 944

As some of you know, I traded cars with Dan and got his '89 944. Anyone who knows the car knows that it's been lowered about two inches. Well, the other day the fuel pump relay died on me (it happens, just bad timing, haha) and the car was too low to put on a tow truck. The practical side of me kicked in and I really need to raise the car about an inch I think, a good compromise between clearance and looks.

Anyway, the people I've talked with about it have said the front is "easy" but that they don't want to touch the back end with its torsion bars. Something about those things being a nightmare and needing a special tool. Anyone know of any shops in the NW Ohio area that would be able to do the job with less complaining?

Thanks all.

Aaron
Old 08-25-2004, 04:51 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I remember correctcally the front of Dan's car has the coilover kit, adjustable ride height, I doubt that it can be adjusted without requiring a new alignment, or at least another corner balance, I know this is a problem we used to run into with cars with coilover suspension at the shop I worked at.

The rear has only been adjusted using the eccentric bolt and can be put back to normal rather easily. There are directions on here somewhere...
Old 08-25-2004, 05:14 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The rear can be easily raised with the eccentric. The procedure is on www.clarks-garage.com
The front does have the coilovers and if he has the adjustable collar on it (I know he took it off for a while) you can raise it easily by turning the threaded collars.
It will throw off the camber front & rear but not by much.
Old 08-25-2004, 05:23 PM
ZV
Racer

Thanks all. The collars are indeed off right now so it's a dis-assembly either way. He's actually going to be up in Waterville to pick up the remainder of the 914 parts pile that wouldn't fit in the 924S and has mentioned swapping the front springs for an equivalent weight of slightly taller Weltmeister springs. Seems like that might be the way to go. Free labor on raising the front anyway, and shouldn't cause much difference in the handing since the springs would be the same stiffness, correct? (I mean, of course it will be slightly different from raising everything an inch, but aside from that the springs should be essentially the same, right?)

Aaron

Quick Reply: Raising a previously lowered 944