Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aiming headlights........

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 11:00 PM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts
Default Aiming headlights........

What a pain inf the a$$ that is. I just spent half an hour aiming the damn things just to get "close". Because the aiming screws are the 10 and 4 positions, it was a pain to get them aimed. With one screw adjust up and right while the other adjust down and left, It was work to get a balance.

By the way, buy the Cibie lenses and put in decent bulbs. Well worth it. I'm only using a standard H4 bulb until I get the the good stuff from Iceshark and it has made a dramatic difference of the stock sealed halogens...

Aiming sucks though.
Old 08-20-2004, 12:13 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Haven't aimed mine yet. My regular lights are fine, I like the placement even though they are probably high for other drivers coming towards me.. I don't want to lower them for that reason, but, the main beam on the brights through those cibies is hitting halfway up trees ahead of me so I gotta fix it.
Old 08-20-2004, 01:41 AM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm... didn't really have too much difficulty aiming my IceShark setup - just went into my apt U/G parkade, measured off the distance, measured and set the lighting marks on the wall using a little masking tape and spent a few minutes adjusting with the screwdriver. Those Cibie cutoff patterns are so sharply defined that these were some of the easiest lights I have ever aimed.

You must have a good level surface to aim lights however, and it really helps to have a good wall or flat surface to set up the markings.
Old 08-20-2004, 02:36 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, what Randy said. Flat ground and a verticle wall, even an old refrigerator box will do for the "wall". Pretty darn easy with the Cibie E-Code.

You guys have to try aiming when it is -30 F below zero ( -34C). I usually use black plastic electrical tape to mark the upturn point in ___/ . Let me tell you, that electrical tape doesn't work too well when it is 30 below. And your fingers don't either!

Daniel, I'm ordering your 50% bulbs tomorrow. Should be in mid next week. Wait on further aiming adventures until you get the new bulbs in.
Old 08-20-2004, 07:38 AM
streckfu's
Rennlist Member

Received 668 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by IceShark
Wait on further aiming adventures until you get the new bulbs in.
You can count on that.

Admittedly, I had a hard tiime finding a good workable surface. I used the side wall of a gas station accross the street as there wasn't too much ambiant light from street lamps and was reasonably flat.

Quick Reply: Aiming headlights........