Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004 | 07:17 PM
heybiff
Instructor

Exclamation Starting problems

Hello all,

I am at the end of my rope trying to get this car back on the road. My new problem is my '88 951 will not start. It started two days ago, but not now. The last thing I did was change the spark plugs from Bosch P's back to NGK's. Start car, it stumbles and dies. Restart, stumbles and dies. Check plug boots, vac hoses, turn key, motor just cranks, no stumbling, nothing. Two days later, same story.sensor this morning (ouch$$) --no go.

What I've done:
replaced DME replay ( one week old) with spare puchased at same time -no go.
checked connection on reference sensor. this was broken with just contacts poking through into female harness end. cleaned and re-seated firmly ( as I have done in the past with success). finally replaced
checked plug wires, all new ( bought with new cap+rotor) and firmly seated --no start
Starter obviously cranks-- still no start

Just for fun my tach needle does not jump when cranking motor.

I'm clueless. If you guys could help me get started in some direction, or run through the standart list of things to check I'd appreciate it. I've done the search thing, and that's pretty much gotten me to this point, but maybe some fresh input will turn a light on for me.

-Heybiff
Old 08-19-2004 | 08:53 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Other possibilities to consider:
  • Fuel pump
  • Fuel filter
  • Injectors (Clean and change seals/caps)
  • Actually removing the speed and reference sensors to clean them
Old 08-19-2004 | 09:13 PM
heybiff
Instructor

Default Thanks for the reply

I'll look seriously at the fuel side of things. I know the injector seals need replacing and have them. The reference sensor was replaced with a new one, how bad could the other (TDC right?) have gotten in the few hours it took to change the plugs? I'll try it though, as I said I'm desperate.

-Heybiff
Old 09-20-2004 | 05:57 PM
heybiff
Instructor

Exclamation Need help with removing sensor

In my journey to getthis car on the road, I've replaced the refernce sensor, only to discover the TDC sensor was worse off. The connector was literally gone, and wrapped in tape. I ran back to the dealer, picked up the other sensor, got home and hit a wall.

I can't remove the TDC sensor. I can just spin it in the hole by putting a wrench over top of it and twisting, but can't pull it out. I've tried slipping a small flathead screwdriver under the end and prying up; broke the screwdriver tip. Tried wrappign the rnds in zip-ties and pulling up; broke zip ties. Tried getting nylon line around sensor ends, no luck, just hurt hands. The screw IS removed, and because it twists in the hole, there shouldn't be anything holding it in.

I'd love to be able to clamp somethingon the sides and twist-pull it out, but I can't think of any tool that'll do the job. There's no room to get a pair of locking pliers in and still open them to clamp on, let alone still be able to pull them straight up. I am COMPLETELY open to suggestions here. I can almost feel how close I am to driving this car, if onlyu I could get it started.

FYI all of this happened when I changed my spark plugs. I htink I put the wires on the cap wrong. Maybe I'll get around to changing them when I can get the car to try to start

-Heybiff

Quick Reply: Starting problems