Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road trip prep

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2004, 03:19 PM
Big E
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road trip prep

Gonna be taking the 951 on a fairly long (~2500 mi round trip) road trip in a few months, so I'm trying to make sure I take care of everything that should be taken care of.

Just did a bunch of stuff 1500 miles ago - belts, rollers, water pump, ball joints, motor mounts, front seals, brake master cylinder - and the cap, rotor, wires, and plugs are only about a year old. New tires a month ago. Obviously I'll be retensioning in the near future.

Any other suggestions? It's been real reliable (knocking on wood currently) for the past coupla months, so I think I'm probably in pretty good shape, but I'm trying to brainstorm. Battery comes to mind, need to check how old it is. Oil change before I leave, have some minor stuff like a burnt-out turn signal and non-functioning fuel gauge.

What else???
Old 08-19-2004, 03:30 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I drove to Illinois from Texas in my convertible I took a spare belt for every pulley, every hose, spark plugs, duct tape, every wrench and socket that I knew I would need, some spare qts. of oil, a spare oil filter, etc. Check the spare makes sure it is functioning. There is really a lot. I ended up not needing any of what I brought (1/2 qt of oil) but it sure made me feel better knowing I had it.
Old 08-19-2004, 06:10 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did a 1200+ mile roadtrip, driving hard the whole way. I took a few liters of oil, two jugs of water, a window squeegie (bug territory, windows got messy), my spare of course which worked, and compressor. I also took some basic tools in a little box, my bent nose pliers for thermostat snap ring, mini rachet, universal joint, screwdriver bits, etc. I wound up having to pull my BRANDNEW thermostat at my destination, so the tools came in handy.

Surpringly the stuff that didnt get used was.... The spare oil

Quick Reply: Road trip prep