Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head Light Dilema

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004 | 04:50 AM
Mad_Max_944
6th Gear

Default Head Light Dilema

I have not posted in a long while. Iwas transfered to Alaska and just have finished un-packing all my stuff. Had my 944 shipped. no major damage. Just a broken headlight. No bad, uh??
Well,
The car came with Hella H4s. No problem right? Just order the drop ins from Pelican. Cold not wait for their arrival to get back to night time driving ( happens for about half the year here). Not so lucky after receiving the part I di assembled the broken lens. It did not take long, right away I could see that we were not looking at the same Hella H4. The one I pulled off had ajustment screws that fit into a retaining ring. I guess the PO was way ahead of his time. Icould find no evidence that the lights had been changed before. Problem is that I cannot find the hella PN for the light I have. Does anyone know how to get the part no of a Hella lense?
I really would appreciate the help. I would keep me from having to retro fit the car back to where it will take the recommended H4's that Pelican has. If your watching James, sorry, just looking for the options. Thanks for the assistance with the situation.
Old 08-17-2004 | 01:46 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

You are going to have to be much more specific on what you have but I think I know what it is if the Hellas Pelican sent you don't fit. Your lens has the aiming adjustments physically attached to the reflector/lens, right? Those are pretty unusual and you typically only saw those in some Rest Of World cars.

Those are going to be tough to find, take quite a bit of time and probably be very expensive. And everytime you crack a lens you will have to go through it all over again.

What I would do is find someone parting out a car (there are a lot being parted out) and buy the parts to convert the headlight mounting and aiming gear to the standard type. Never having seen the bucket assembly for that type of lens I don't know if you would have to do any cutting and welding.
Old 08-17-2004 | 02:13 PM
Mad_Max_944
6th Gear

Thanks Ice,
I knew that this would peak your interest. I just got off the line with Hella. They confirmed your information. I guess I will retro back to the original set up and stick with the current product. Hellas stated that they discontinued the "all in one" light quite some time ago. Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-17-2004 | 02:39 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, I thought those might be discontinued even in Europe, but you never know until you talk to the horse's mouth. I have a Hella book here that MAY contain the conversion lens retaining ring for those goofy lenses you have. It is for the '83 to '91 944 series cars. The Hella number is 67049 and the Porsche OEM number is 111.941.049A . It looks like it is all bolt on from the picture, so no welding.

Get Hella to fax you the picture of it. Then with the picture you can go out to the car, take the headlight bucket apart and figure out if it is what I think it is.

If it will work then you know where to start the search. I'm sure the conversions would cost a small fortune new from Hella or Porsche but I bet it is the same assembly that the "normal" headlighted 944s used. Then get a used pair from a Rennlister like Todd who is parting out 5 or so cars. Problem solved.
Old 08-17-2004 | 10:58 PM
adie
Pro

I have the same problem but I figure I will just get the buckets from a breaker, at present I have right hand drive lights in my car as the bits I brought didn't fit. However Icesharks lenses and bulbs are in the car I use the most as they are a bit brighter than the right hand drive ones (about 300% brighter than N.American) and also point the light in the right direction. I'd look into another set of buckets or you can have my lenses (although they are for driving on the left side of the road) for the cost of postage.

Quick Reply: Head Light Dilema