Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Could this be my overheating problem?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 03:45 PM
vermontcalbud
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could this be my overheating problem?????

I just had belts,waterpump,radiator,rad switches changed 2 days ago and I drove it home on 3rd mark over.I called them and told them that I wasnt a happy camper with the gauge reading!!
Paid $2000 for all the work and parts!!
They wanted me to drive back down Monday and they will rebleed and change the thermostat.(maybe the new one was faulty!!)
I popped the hood this morning and was checking the reservoir and the radiator hoses.
The top hose on drivers side was resting on some sort of pulley!!
Ran my fingers along backside of hose and theres a 3 inch gash were coolant runs out.
Needless to say I wasnt happy!!
Called there roadside service truck and told them they need to drive the 60++Miles here and get the car to change the hose and also rebleed system!!
Also noticed the aircleaner box assembly has 3 broken and missing bolts!!
The air cleaner assembly flops around!!
I am really pissed!!I hope this is the reason I was getting a high 3rd mark reading on my gauge!!!
Old 08-14-2004, 04:07 PM
aeronautica86
Three Wheelin'

hmmm....I had a new waterpump but in, flushed the whole thing out, new switches, new thermo, new hoses, new heater valve (old one was leaking coolant) and on hot days the gauge still gets up there...never above the 3rd mark though....maybe I should take the radiator out and straighten the fins or something.....either way, the car has never had any problems when and it gauge always seems to read that its hot....maybe the gauge just isn't very accurate?
Old 08-14-2004, 05:13 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

That is pretty common. It happened to me on both 944's I've owned. The hoses are usually a little long, you need to cut 3/4" to 1" off the small end of that hose to keep it off the power steering pulley. That would definitely be a reason for the car to run hot since the system won't pressurize with a leak like that.
Since it's the shop's mistake, make them tow the car to their shop to repair it. Don't drive 60 miles to their place, you could lose all the coolant and destroy the motor. It's their mistake, they should have to eat the cost of doing it right.

Quick Reply: Could this be my overheating problem?????