Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hand brake adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2004, 12:27 PM
loonyjuice
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The handbrake cable seems a bit awkward to get at. Do I need to bear anything in mind? I heard about someone removing the seat?! I take it I need to release the spring that's holding the cable?
Old 08-16-2004, 01:59 PM
bigal13
Instructor

Originally Posted by loonyjuice
The handbrake cable seems a bit awkward to get at. Do I need to bear anything in mind? I heard about someone removing the seat?! I take it I need to release the spring that's holding the cable?
yes you will have to remove the drivers seat there is only 4 bolts holing it in then you will have easy access to the handbrake leaver

then release the locking and adjusting bolts
then go under the car and pull the cable out
release the cables at the handbrake shoes and pull the cable out
then follow the cable underneath and remove it from fixings
sounds simple but remember you are under the car for most of it so make sure it is well supported on axle stands and always chock the front wheels and just in case place the rear wheels under the car also (if it falls off the stands easer to get 2 new wheels than a new life)

hope this helps but if not there look at the Haynes manual
Old 08-16-2004, 02:53 PM
loonyjuice
Instructor

I don't want to take the cable out, just tighten it up!

However, I've just spent a good 15 minutes messing with it and I can undo the small locking nut, but I can't get the other two nuts to move much. I realise I need to screw the nut next to the lever up to make it grab more of the cable, but it's difficult with the seat there!

But, do I really need to remove the seat? I can't be arsed with that, I'm going down the garage.

Quick Reply: Hand brake adjustment