Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

coolant reservoir question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 07:07 PM
vermontcalbud
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default coolant reservoir question.

Just got my car back last night.Has a brand new(not rebuilt!)water pump belts,thermostat and also a Brand New radiator.
Temp gauge stays on 3rd white line pretty much all the time!!
(not the line touching red!)
Fan seems to stay on constant.
I checked the radiator reservoir out and had to add a little coolant.
Talked to the mechanic this morning by phone and he apologized and stated that they bled the system twice and forgot to top the reservoir off.
I added coolant this morning to get it in between the min and max lines.
My question is Should I see the coolant circulating inside the reservoir??
It appears to me that the coolant is just sitting in there and not circulating!!
What do you guys suggest in How to get it at least dead center on the temp gauge??
The mechanic said that he took multiple readings with temp gauges and the temp says 180-185 tops after driving the car 15 mins or so.
Any input would be helpful!!Thanks!
Old 08-12-2004, 09:39 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 99 Posts

Yes, you should be able to see coolant circulating in the tank. It's just a trickle, not a gushing flow. If you're seeing the temperature guage at the last white line while idling, this is ok. What's it like when your driving it at a steady speed? It should be down to the first thin white line. If it's staying up while driving, it still may not be bled correctly. Also check your radiator cap. If the system isn't getting pressurized, it may run hot.
Old 08-12-2004, 09:42 PM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think you will see the water circulating with the cap off. However, you should see the level rise and fall with the engine temperature. Starting from cold, you should see the level in the reservoir rise until the thermostat opens. At that point the level will fall rapidly. After the temperature stabilizes, the level should be below the max level mark.

The resopnse of the temperature gauge depends on the condition of the sensor and electrical system. Check this link:http://frwilk.com/early944/
Old 08-12-2004, 09:47 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had miserable luck with replacement thermostats, so if it runs warm on the freeway, that would be the first thing I check.

Quick Reply: coolant reservoir question.