Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Supercharger kits available?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 01:57 AM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Default Any Supercharger kits available?

Just curious.... we make supercharger kits for the Porsche 928 and I was wondering if there is anybody making a supercharger kit for the 944 or 924 (non-turbos, of course).

If not, I have had a couple inquiries, and we think we'd like to do it.
Old 08-10-2004, 02:09 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

There are a few options here. . .

http://www.speedforceracing.com/
http://www.powerhaus.com/

I think Paxton made a kit as well - do a search for recent posts by MichelleJD. I think she was contemplating one on EBay.

Of course, there's the Callaway kits too, but there aren't very many of those around any more (turbo, not supercharger).
Old 08-10-2004, 03:47 AM
glpinxit
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In UK there is Neinmeister; http://www.9mracing.co.uk
Old 08-10-2004, 04:16 AM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ninemeister sells the SFR kit.

There is no supercharger kit for the 944 S2 or 968 that does not require removing the AC. Huntley was producing one but is no longer aroung.

I believe that if you can come up with a product in your current price range that does not require removing the AC for the 16 valve 944s that you will have found a sucessful nitch market.

Please feel free to email me with any questions you may have. I have been following the available SC and Turbo kits for about 2 years.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:28 AM
jp944
Pro

AFAIK, Superchargers of Knoxville and SFR are the only vendors out there. There was talk of making a turbo kit from www.f-a-s-tonline.com, but I haven't heard anything about it in a year or so. If I remember correctly, their proposed price was going to be about half the SFR / Knoxville / 928 price.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:09 AM
bader$
Burning Brakes

I too would like to see a kit for a 16V engine that does not require removing the A/C. I would even consider my car to be test mule.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:32 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Carl, my 944S is under construction right now, engine is out. It's getting new rings, bearings, cams etc..... I live around the corner from Murphy. I also have a 2nd block lying around here somewhere.

The Huntley setup was pretty slick, if someone were able to reproduce that manifold, that looks like the best way to keep the A/C. From reading Andy (goridesno) posts, the twin screw's Huntley was using seam to be going for pretty cheap used.

Huntley claimed they were making mods to the SC's to get more output, so using an off the shelf one was not an option. Unless you shipped it to them for the "mods" I pretty sure this was just another Huntley BS line. They were not getting any more boost out of their setup then those SC's are rated for.

Using John's twin turbo MAF converstion would also be a good way to go to drop the barn door.

One thing I know for a fact, the 944S has larger intake ports than the 928 S4, so there is a major potential for moving a ton of air into these engines.

Since Murphy has already had a Cometic head gasket made up for the S4's, wouldn't take much to modify that design to fit the 944S. I was already planning on this upgrade for my car either way.

Carl, see you on Labor day?
Old 08-10-2004, 09:40 AM
Carl Fausett
Developer

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks for your response....

Two questions...
Q1: so you are saying there is NO supercharger kit for the 944 that allows you to keep your AC?

Q2: does anybody know how many 944's were imported intot he US, and a guess at how many are still alive today?
Old 08-10-2004, 09:53 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,163 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Q1 - Huntley's did, it's the only twin screw setup I've ever seen. The rest mount the SC where the AC goes.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:35 AM
savage944
Racer

Why not make the unit for yourself.

Get a Eaton, something like the one off the mercedes. Its the right size. Huntley used the M90, which is actually oversized for the Porsche. He was using the 3rd and then 4th gen of M90, not a lot different than the early ford supercharged 3.8 V6 T-bird M90.

You can improve on any of them by doing a race port on the case.

Regardless, the Mercedes supercharger (SC) unit is smaller than the M90, but sized up to 3.0 liters. So no problem feeding 944 engine. Belt pulleys can be sized and changed as needed. Even a longer or short drive snot can be had. Or use the M90. Pulley size will determine Boost level, Either unit flows more CFM than the engine will ever need, so thats not an issue.

Mounting? Make a bracket that allows you to mount the unit either adjacent and above the power steering pump or above the alternator.

Running the belts might require you mount up a tensioner, easy to get and mount, then a belt that fits the AC, ALT and SC or one that fits the PS and SC. The Power steering are is an odd location, but could be done, difficulty is routing air into the supercharger at that location. Easier if it is suspend above the ALT. A mounting plate wouldn't be that hard to fabricate, especially if you access to a CNC setup. You could design it to fit and use existing mounting holes for the ALT and maybe fit down to the ear that the AC hooks to. Then another plate that acts a secure point and cradle for the rear of the Eaton and fits at the rear bolt holes of the The Alt. You end up loosing the stock air box. The are other mounting options for securing it above the ALT, but all in all it wouldnt be that difficult.

Huntley's unit mounted the supercharger to their custom intake. The intake was designed to suport the Supercharger. This could be reproduced, but isnt necessary.

For fuel management... well thats a little more difficult than mounting up the unit. But... you could use just a manifold pressure switch and a Additional injector(s) even a Additional injector controller(AIC) if need by, low buck option is a injector or injectors that run at full duty cycle when they see boost of 1 PSI or greater. But thats rather crude. It works, but its not a long term solution.

You can of course get with Danno over at guru and do a MAF conversion on the NA. Go to larger injectors and have the fuel map on your chip reprogrammed, provided its a late model NA. If its an early NA, switch to the Late model DME. Since you are doing a MAF conversion, no need to switch to a late AFM.

You can also get piggy back setups and all that other high dollar stuff.

Another thing to note about a mercedes eaton, they use a A/C style Clutch pulley, that can be engaged or disengaged. So you could setup the unit to be push button/part-time setp if you wanted.

Then you have a car that runs like stock, then you select your sport setting or whatever you want to call it and engage the supercharger, with a reprogrammed chip, you are set. It follows the non-boost fuel curve, till it sees boost.

Lots of options, but you could do this cheap if you have the skills to fabricate a mount, if not find...well then find a good fabrication shop, like a hot rod shop or some such and have them make the mount for you.

Stock mercedes pulley may not be an exact match to the porsche, you can however replace it with a different unit from a A/C unit, etc... especially since pulley size in relation to crank pulley size... determines the final drive ration and total amount of boost produced.

I can even tell you how to race port the supercharger if you want, even get you pics of several units I have ported both M90 and the Mercedes units. No Not in the business, but I have done the mods for other cars I supercharged.

Getting the Supercharger is easy... junk yard, ebay, etc...
Old 08-10-2004, 10:36 AM
bader$
Burning Brakes

Actually iirc you move the Alternator to the A/C Position and deleted the compressor.

Also I am told that a screw charger on a engine with 11:1 Compression is to much to soon that the engine would need to bee at a higher speed to handle the pressure, because the screw compressor is instant boost. I am not an expert. This is what I was told by a man who has supercharged many vehicles.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:43 AM
savage944
Racer

Quick Carl, I say make the kit and sell them.

Especially if you are going to come up with something as mentioned, that doesn't require deleting anything other than the air box.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:52 AM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is some info on production numbers http://www.connact.com/~kgross/FAQ/944faq03.html

I believe it is correct that there is no bolt on package for the 944/S2/68 that allows retention of the AC.

Ninemeister did an excellent job of dyno tuning the SFR unit. He has achieved 348 BHP / 304 Torque with the kit.
http://www.9mracing.co.uk/html/modul...20&quickview=1
Without the Ninemeister tuning the SFR unit worked poorly. I do not believe he has an exclusive relationship with SFR and would encourage you to contact him.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:27 PM
JerryW
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd be interested in a kit for the S2 that does not loose the A/C too.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:31 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JerryW
I'd be interested in a kit for the S2 that does not loose the A/C too.
There's a long line to stand in for that one.

Quick Reply: Any Supercharger kits available?