Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My stock Blaupunkt doesn't work, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 01:06 AM
dmont
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My stock Blaupunkt doesn't work, any ideas?

Well, this is my first official post here on rennlist and I’m glad to say I’m the proud owner of a 1987 924S. Its got 105,000 miles, original paint, an average interior and overall pretty good shape. It also has Koni adjustable shocks, though not the yellow ones, a K&N panel air filter, and supposedly a chip, I have yet to pull it out and look at it. I paid $2800 for the car.

Anyway, my stock Blaupunkt Reno SQR 46 doesn’t work. Here are the symptoms. It turns on fine, and all the buttons work. Though when it seeks it never finds anything. When I turn it on there is popping noise in the speakers and there is a little static when move the volume up and down but other than that its completely silent. I stuck a cassette in and it was turning but still no sound.

So I pulled it out and everything looks to be hooked up right. I took a voltage checker to it and its getting power. I hooked up my home stereo to the speakers and all work but one.

Did the 924S come with a power antenna? Its not listed on my options and mine doesn’t go up and down. There is nothing hooked to the switched output on the stereo.

Has anybody else’s stopped working or does anybody have any ideas. I guess I should probably just buy a new one.

For the time being I just get to listen to the four cylinders firing…and some other creaks and squeaks that I probably prefer not to hear, ha.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:14 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all- Welcome to Renlnist.

2800 is a bargain. The electric antennae was standard, You may want to disengage the ATS in order to get the radio working correctly (I'll check tomorrow to define the actual button markiing, I'll repost)

Pull the speaker grilles (phillips #1) and see if the speakers are trash. (very possible)

Replacing the electric antenna requires removing a cannister in the drivers side fender well-

ANOTHER 924S!!! YAY!

Post a pic- register at 924.org and p-caronline.. Welcome to the fracus.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:19 AM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Sounds like its time for a new radio. The static and popping is from a dirty volume control. I bet the amplifier in the radio is fried.

If you have an antenna on the fender, it was probably an electric Hirschman. Fairly expensive to replace. You can get an antenna that will work, but it is not an exact replacement (you'll have to re-wire and fit the antenna in the fender) for about $100. Or a manual for a lot less. It's nice to have it down on the highway because it does generate some noise.

Good Luck.

Good Luck.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:37 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Good call Steve. The electric antenna is in a stupid place- subjected to water, salt and road grime. Should have been shrouded by a plastic or rubber cover from the factory- Hirschmann.. expensive.

The head unit may be toast. check the speakers first tho.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:13 PM
dmont
Cruisin'

Thanks for the warm welcome. I think I'll have to get a new stereo. I tried messing around with it more today. The speakers are fine, they look and sound ok (I hooked another stereo to them). I even tried hooking some headphones to the stereo thnking if the amp is toast maybe some sound is still coming out just with not enough power to make the car speakers work, but I heard nothing.

About the antenna, what casues it to fail. Some gear gets stripped out or something. Even if its not moving up and down it should still recieve reception, right. Is there any reason it not functioning that it would cause the rest of the stereo not to work? The tape player should still work regardless right, which it doesn't.

Anyway thanks for your help. I'll post some pictures and stuff as soon as I get a decent digital camera, my friend has one.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:27 PM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

Another 924S here. Can't help much with the antenna since mine is broken off at the fender (and it's sharp, too!) Have you tried spraying the volume **** with some contact cleaner? If you can get some of that into there it might take care of things. You can find it at radio shack for under $10, it's good stuff to have around.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:11 AM
83na944
Three Wheelin'

Yep a gera strips, the motor burns out, or more commonly, the plastic piece that is driven by the gear is broken. Sounds like the antenna is disconnected, so you'll have to find the right wire and supply battery voltage to see if the antenna works.

Yous should be able to receive strong stations with the antenna down. I wired my replacement antenna through a switch so that I could lower it when I played a CD on my replacement head unit. Cuts down on wind noise at speed and keeps the antenna from wearing out so soon. Let me know if you need the part number of the replacement antenna I used.
Old 08-10-2004, 12:58 AM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

The 944 stereos/speakers and anything associated with audio were pretty much total crap right from the factory. Totally inexcusable in a car of this price. My mom had an 86 Supra and that at least had a decent system.

I will say Petes 10 speaker factory deal in his 89 S2 sounded pretty respectable for 15yrs old. For a $35,000-40,000 car though it damn well better. And it got no better in the 911s. Complete utter turd muffins sound systems. You might as well hold a tire iron out the window with Reynolds Wrap on it if you plan on picking up some good signals.
Old 08-10-2004, 09:04 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by UDPride
I will say Petes 10 speaker factory deal in his 89 S2 sounded pretty respectable for 15yrs old. For a $35,000-40,000 car though it damn well better.

It's only running on 8 speakers, the 3" midrange door speakers are toast. I'm working on a plan to replace the door speakers with more common sizes. I'll post the solution when I'm done with it.

Quick Reply: My stock Blaupunkt doesn't work, any ideas?