Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edit: yep, probably bent valves

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004 | 10:51 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Sounds like bad news. Even turning the engine very slowly should compress some, since from where the intake valve closes up to TDC is basically all compression with both valves shut. If you're doing this and have zero compression, you're leaking out the cylinder someplace. Either your rings are COMPLETELY shot, or you have a busted valve. Most likely the latter; I'd strongly suggest pulling the head off and checking for that plus piston damage. Good news is it gives you a reason to change the head gasket and possibly resurface the head / valve job. Bad news is you're probably out a grand or more and without the car for at least a few weeks, unless you have a lot of money laying around, a good shop nearby that isn't backed up, a lot of free time, and a lot of ambition to do it quickly. Bummer. Welcome to the BVC (Bent Valve Club) - several members of this forum are also members of this elite organization.
Old 08-08-2004 | 12:57 AM
Scuba Steve
Burning Brakes

It's alright, I was told that the car had a broken timing belt when I got it (tons of confusion when I found a properly alligned engine + timing belt in one piece). I've been working on getting the head off this evening. So far I have the fuel rail, intake manifole, and distributor/rotor off. Maybe I'll get the head off tomorrow or sometime next week. I'm in no hurry here.

After taking off the intake manifold I had a look at the intake valves. They don't look bent but who knows, maybe they are just a little bit. At least none of them look like broken valves I've seen in the past.
Old 08-08-2004 | 01:09 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Originally Posted by azndrvr447
yes my 8 new valves ran me $800...don't wanna mess those babies up again

at least that's not 16

scuba steve - i had a head problem (with the car) last year and only 1 of 16 valves was bent, but we couldn't tell until the head was off the car.
Old 08-08-2004 | 01:09 AM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Well that's a good start - the guides might be shattered if the valve got pushed sideways and not bent possibly, and there might still be piston damage (not fun), but at least you're so far so good. Keep us posted. Hope it all turns out well!
Old 08-08-2004 | 02:56 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Try not to get your hopes up too much, it's usually the exhaust valves that bend. I suppose you could have used a leakdown tester to double-check, but I as well am almost 100% certain it's valves.

Quick Reply: Edit: yep, probably bent valves