Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removal of fuel line from Fuel Pressure Regulator

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 07:32 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Removal of fuel line from Fuel Pressure Regulator

I just got my fuel pressure regulator in the mail today and wanted to ask a simple but stupid question. Now to preface the stupidity of this question I must add my little disclaimer - I only ask this because I don't want to place an absurd amount of pressure on the fuel line and cause an eventual fire down the road. So in any case, here we go...

In which direction do I unscrew the fuel line from the fuel pressure regulator on an S2? I know the obvious answer is counter-clockwise but I've tried that on fuel lines in the past and it almost feels like I'm not quite pulling them out in the right direction. On any normal bolt/thread I have no problem with putting pressure on it to loosen it up but on this one I'm afraid to cause damage.

Any help would be appreciated as soon as possible. I hope to do this job tomorrow morning. From what I can see, it looks easy except for this little issue I mention above.

Thanks!
Old 08-06-2004, 07:36 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

lefty loosy- right tighty.. Thats how it is on the 924S.
HTH.

Keep in mind, the fuel rail is under pressure, so expect some fuel spillage unless you pull the DME relay and starve the engine of fuel.
and.. disconnect your battery. spark and fuel fumes are bad.. Mmkay.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:39 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Problem is that the FPR will tend to twist on the rail as you attempt to loosen the fuel line. You'll need to hold the FPR firmly. I recently did this on my 83 and it was tough because they were the original units on the car and the FPR wouldn't budge.

I gave it a good shot of WD-40 and clamped it with some channel lock pliers and a rag, but you need to be careful not to damage it in the process.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:56 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

On my 951 I usually unbolt the FPR and pull/twist it out of the fuel line, rather than trying to pry the line off the FPR. I think I could hoist the motor out of the engine bay using only the unclamped fuel line. My hose fuel line hose clamp screws in the normal direction. The only reverse threads I know of in my house are on the accessory belt tensioners, and -- for reasons unknown to all -- that big nut that holds the toilet bowl flushing lever on the inside of the tank.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:28 PM
fpena944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

Well maybe it's just me or maybe it's unique to the S2 but when I attempted to remove the FPR this morning it seems I do have to remove the entire fuel rail.

The reason why is because the head of the bolt holding the bottom portion of the FPR faces right into the cylinder head. I've tried to insert every tool I can think of under there but no luck. I can easily reach it with my finger but of course that won't help with loosening the bolt.

I'm bummed because I thought this would be a 30 minute job tops. But if there is one bit of good news, I found out that the fuel lines (with a little extra pressure) do in fact unscrew the counterclockwise direction. Unfortunately that was the easy part of this repair!

Luis - that is exactly what mine started doing because I didn't realize the nut on the top of the bracket is welded in place. So I was attempting to loosen this nut when in fact it's the one facing the bottom of the car that loosens up. So I ended up bending the bracket slightly. Once I get this thing out of here I'll have to straighten it back up.
Old 08-07-2004, 12:34 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Be careful with the fuel rail- it's brazed and may srping a leak if man-handled.
On the 2.5 L anyhow- YMMV.

Quick Reply: Removal of fuel line from Fuel Pressure Regulator