Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rare (?) very early 89 944 Cab/S2?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 02:55 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 944Fest (aka Dan P)
If an outside company (ASC) did the top conversion instead of the factory it surely would be different in some way.
Actually, ASC did all the factory cabriolet conversions, and not Bauer, as Porsche had initially planned. Peter Schutz, the American at the helm of the company at the time, chose ASC for their reputation with convertibles and lower conversion cost than the German Bauer group's proposal.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:08 PM
db944
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The vin number was posted on the original auction and was definitely NOT the vin of a normal S2 cabriolet. S2 cabs are WP0CB. This one was not. If I can find the original listing I will post the VIN and maybe someone out there can decode it.
Old 08-04-2004, 07:41 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

And Luis, I meant "bad paintjob" as in the engine bay being a different color, not that the color is ugly.
Old 08-04-2004, 11:16 PM
db944
Rennlist Member

Ok, more infor on the VIN. The VIN for this car is WP0BA2944KN480007. This is verified by a photo of the VIN in the windshield. According to both Brian Long and Peter Morgan 944 books, the VIN for an '89 S2cab should be a WP0CBxxxxxxxxx. The BA in this vin doesn't match. The KN does signify 1989 even though the tag suggests it was built in 1988. I could find no reference to a vin matching WP0BA. Anybody have any clues? Perhaps this is the real deal. A prototype S2 cab?
Old 08-04-2004, 11:23 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 110 Likes on 80 Posts

I posted part of the carfax in the other thread. the carfax says the car has a 32v V8.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:16 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

Lots of 89s were built in 88! The plot thickens...
Old 08-05-2004, 05:11 AM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The 0007 in the vin indicates it's the 7th car of it's kind, whatever that means.
Old 08-06-2004, 11:06 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

UPDATE.. The owner has gotten the block stampings, they say:

M44 / 41
42K 00102

Joel said
"Checking the engine code will tell for sure. M44/40 for a 2.5l 'S', M44/41 for a 3.0 S2"

OK, it looks like the block stampings indicate this is a 3.0 S2 plant, as we guessed from the pics.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:03 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

From the thread I started a few months ago about this car.
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/139408-check-out-this-cab-on-ebay-and-the-carfax.html
Originally Posted by Tom R.
Here is the auction for a 1989 Cabrio - one of ten made.

Was this car originally black? Look under the hood.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...481929373&rd=1

here is the interesting part of the carfax

Year/Make/Model: 1989 PORSCHE 944 S

Body Style: CONVERTIBLE
Engine: 4.6L V8 FI SOHC 16V
Fuel: GASOLINE
Driveline: REAR WHEEL DRIVE
Manufactured in: GERMANY
Safety Equipment: 4 wheel ABS, Passive (automatic) belts

Standard Equipment: Power Windows, Power Steering, Air Conditioning, AM / FM Cassette, Power Brakes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Still looking for the perfect PORSCHE 944 S? Check out a list of them in your area.
Text of the eBay ad:

Vehicle Description

This 1989 944 S Cabriolet is claimed to be so very very rare, it's not listed in the NADA. I believe this 944 S was made by Porsche and given specifically to ASC ( American Sunroof Company ) to install a Power Black Cloth convertible top for the 1989 Detroit Auto Show. There were only claimed to be 10 Porsche 944 S convertibles made in this manner ( Cloth Power tops ) and this is number 7 off the production line. This information has been passed down from the previous 2 owners and through my research is found to be true. The exterior color is a very rare Red Pearl Essence, which was only placed on 2 vehicles of the 10, and the other one is claimed to be out of circulation. The paint is in excellent condition and has never been repainted. This is a special paint used by Porsche for this particular vehicle only. There are no noticible scratches, dents, rust, or worn areas on the exterior finish, it looks like it still belongs in the Detroit Auto Show. The Original Black Leather/Cloth combination interior is in pristine condition. There are no worn areas, tears, or blemishes inside at all. The carpet still holds it's luster. All original *****, interior lights, and tape organizer in compartment are in working order and look brand new. There are no replacement parts on this car at all. This car is equipped with a 5 Speed Manual Transmission, 4 Cyl. Overhead Cam, Blaupunkt AM/FM cassette stereo, Air Conditioning, Cruise Control, Power Windows, Power Locks, Power Seats and Power Convertible top. The 19K odometer reading are the original miles and the Bridgestone Tires have 95 percent tread life left. The gears shift smooth and with Excellent response. I have had this car serviced and has passed the very strict Pennyslvania State Inspection. This car has been stored in a Climate Control environment and there is no show of any moisture damage at all. No fading, No Warping, No Water Damage, No storage smell, No insect damage to either the interior or cloth convertible top. I have all original books and 1 set of keys. It's an unbelievable Car!. The Red Pearl Essence Paint is so great looking, it stops traffic, and I have had numerous people ask " what are you driving?". This is truly a Collector's dream.

Vehicle Condition

This 1989 944 S Cabriolet is one of a kind and is in absolutely Excellent condition. I can't say enough about this car. It's a must see to believe. As stated above there are no blemishes, dents, worn, fading areas on this car at all. The tires show 95 percent tread life left, and the 4 speaker stereo system is orginal and in great condition. The Exterior and Interior are in Excellent shape. The Moon Dial alloy rims are original and very minimal wear on them. All original Books and 1 set of keys are included. Please feel free to call me at 814-392-8054 for any more details.

Terms of Sale

$1000.00 deposit due within 24 hours of close of auction. Final payment due within 7 days of close of auction. The buyer is responsible for all transporting fees, however, I can assist with arrangements. Payments accepted are Bank Check or Bank Wire transfer only. Inspections are welcomed by appointment only during auction period. A 99.00 processing fee will be included to the final value of the sale. Please be prepared to give fax number for buyer's order signature. The seller retains the right to end the auction early for any outside sales of ebay at anytime during the auction. For more information, please call 814-392-8054.
Old 08-07-2004, 09:19 PM
db944
Rennlist Member

According to Peter Morgan, the M44/41 engine is an S2 3.0 liter engine. 944S engine code (2.5 liter 16 valve) was M44/40. So at least we know that the engine is indeed a 3.0 liter S2 engine (as we all suspected from the pictures).
Old 08-07-2004, 10:10 PM
db944
Rennlist Member

Ok, this is my final contribution on this one. Given the build date of 10/88 and the VIN number with the odd WP0BA I'm going to say that this is a genuine S2 cabriolet prototype. HOWEVER! The black paint under the hood is extremely suspect, particularly with the paint on the headlight bar and hood latch receiver. Before I plunked down anywhere near $20g I would want a certificate of authenticity as well as some evidence that the car had not been wrecked and/or repainted.

The Brian Long 944 book has a picture of a "pre-production" 944 S2 coupe with phone dials. This car was built around the same time-frame. Also, according to this book, production of the S2 cab did not begin until January of 1989 and none were released to the market until April of '89 as an early '90 car. According to Peter Morgan, production of the S2 cab did not begin until July 1989.

So, I believe this car began life as a cab prototype. But whether the paint in the engine bay and the exterior are original remains to be seen. Is anyone on the list located near this car? We need somebody to get next to it and answer some serious questions.

Anybody?
Old 08-07-2004, 11:00 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

UPDATE.. The owner has gotten the block stampings, they say:

M44 / 41
42K 00102

Joel said
"Checking the engine code will tell for sure. M44/40 for a 2.5l 'S', M44/41 for a 3.0 S2"

OK, it looks like the block stampings indicate this is a 3.0 S2 plant, as we guessed from the pics.
That would definitely make it a 944S2 cabriolet, since 941 was the factory designation for this model.
Old 08-07-2004, 11:04 PM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Here is what I'm imagining, from the evidence and e-mailing the owner.

Back in 88, ASC decided it could do a conversion on the 944 series. It needed a test mule to do the job. Since they've done Porsche factory work before, (?) They asked Stuttgart for a very early 89 S2 to use for a test car. Mother Porsche took care of a good customer and sold them S2 #007 off the line as the fall S2 production spooled up. Unfortunately the wheel manufacturer was having a bad month with fractures on the new castings so the left over phone dials went on her. ASC grabbed it and went to work. It was headed to the Detroit auto show for display by ASC, NOT the Porsche factory booth. You know, down in the lower level where Saleen lurks, and Monster Garage cars, etc.. They shot a coat of that pink hue on it to make it glimmer under the spotlights. Meanwhile, the grey old lady at the DMV was saying "What kind of Poooorsh was that, dija' say?, I ain't got no "S2" listing.... Is it an 'S'?" Back in Detroit, I imagine the Porsche factory sales team strolled thru the basement on the way to the executive crapper and saw the topless pinkie, negotiations began and ended soon thereafter. A couple of owners, (one who liked the look of a blacked out underhood), eventually get their turns. While reading a DMV title that says 9 4 4 S, one PO checks the oil filter sizing book at Autozone and it shows that as a 2.5L 16V engine. A stint on Ebay sends ripples of interest thru internet websites, and history is born!

Believe it,

Or not!
Old 08-07-2004, 11:11 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

ASC grabbed it and went to work. It was headed to the Detroit auto show for display by ASC, NOT the Porsche factory booth.
Interesting hypothesis, and quite plausible. Let me just reiterate that ASC was retained to do all the 944 cabriolet conversions for the Porsche factory. The Detroit auto show car may have been put together before the contract was awarded, but all the other factory cars were ASC conversions.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:25 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Dan,
I'm with you on all but two things.

1) The wheels. Who cares/are those the originals/etc. Maybe the 7" D90s werent made yet. Dont forget the S2 came out in 89, the "new"/late offset 911 came out in 90. Maybe ASC liked the look of PDs better.

2) S vs S2 designation. My titles list the S2 as "944". no S2 designation. What does your title say for your 951? It only matters for insurance, and they use the vin to know you arent trying to get a high powered 951 insured as a low powered 944. Also, every S2 I ran a carfax on came up as "S". I have a brochure from 89, and it basically says the S2 is a continuation of the S, which stands for Super.

As an aside, the fact that ASC did all the conversions explains why the rear quarters have that band aid plastic part instead of proper steel quarter panels. While typical of early coupe to cabrio conversions, It really is not clean, especially when compared to what the competition was offering at the same time.

Quick Reply: Rare (?) very early 89 944 Cab/S2?