Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throwout Bearing Spacers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 09:53 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Throwout Bearing Spacers?

Can someone please explain the purpose for the throwout bearing(tob) spacers? Back when i did the clutch on my car a very wise rennlister told me to put back in the same spacers that were on the old clutch. So i did.

Now a friend of mine who recently did his clutch is having some issues with his. There were no spacers installed when the tob was done. We spent the afternoon tearing apart the car to get a look at the clutch. What we found was there seems to be some movement of the tob. Both side to side and front to back. From my understanding it should be tight with very little movement...Am i right?

Can someone explain this a little...Thanks a lot!!

Erich
Old 08-02-2004, 10:29 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It should be tight. Mine had one spacer on when it came apart, but the replacement came with two. I used one when reassembling and all is good. The mechanic who supervised said the extra was there in case it was needed, perhaps you would use extra spacers if the pressure plate has been resurfaced.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:55 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Bruce - I thought it should have been tight, he's taking it down to a porsche shop today to ask what they think. The clutch surface also looks to be not fully engaging, as its only worn(shiny) on the edges...

Thanks!
Erich

Quick Reply: Throwout Bearing Spacers?