Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Cable Update

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 08:01 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Battery Cable Update

I'm building the package, however, a couple terminals have been particularly hard to get shipped. I'm told they will be in on Aug 5 and Aug 11. I don't know what Molex's problem is but they are carrying short inventory. Sort of hard to crimp, solder and seal a cable end when you don't have a terminal on it. I'm also getting a special heat of EPDM grommets injected and I don't have them yet. So, I'm building what I can now and when they come in I can finish things off.

When I get all the final invoices in and can calculate total prices with the shipping they charge me, I'll let everyone know. There are two of you that haven't sent in deposits. The day after I post final prices you two are off the list and it is open to two new guys.

Actually, I should consider opening it up to two new people right now. I've got an awful lot sunk into parts that the deposit people have helped fund. And others have helped me on other issues. Sitting by the sidelines while the rest of us get it done .......

Anyway, that is the status. It has been all sold out for awhile ... I want to be fair but I think I will open up those previously taken 2 spots. Any comments on this?

That is the update and thanks for understanding that my control is fairly limited on when quality supplies arrive. I know there are people at Molex and Federal-Mogul that roll their eyes and bang their heads when I call up to ask where things stand.

Dan
Old 08-02-2004, 08:54 PM
washington951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey dan - whats the approximate cost if i would be so lucky as to get one of the two spots you mentioned???
Old 08-02-2004, 08:55 PM
aribop
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the update Dan.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:02 PM
JediAgent
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, thanks for the update.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:04 PM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

I'll second Brian's question.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:04 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Don't want to hijack your thread but to those who are considering all I can say is that this battery upgrade kit is absolutelky top quality and has made a world of difference to how my car runs now. Enough said!
Old 08-03-2004, 01:42 AM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Bump for those that haven't seen this.

If people want more we need a new 100 kits. Which shouldn't be too hard seeing how bad the original stuff is after 15 to 20 years. But it will be tough for the kids and frugal guys until their cars catch on fire.

Then I can swing a BIG dick on the orders of parts. I've sold over 200 packages so I guess that isn't too out of line on expectations.

Actually I can get my "IceShark" printed on the insulation. Don't know why I would want to do that though.

But if enough people want in and send me $30 deposits for the fuses, I'll put you in. This probably won't pull off until December, if we are lucky.

I'm going off to Palau and Pohnpei for diving about then, maybe a couple others, so don't look for me and ask if I got your check. Either I stole it or it will be sitting in a Post Office overfill box.

Pohnpei: I got into a fight with some Serb officers over there on R&R over from the war and a drunken reason some decade ago. The "hotel" staff liked me and put up a human barrier and then a Samoaian I was friends with that was 360 lbs, more muscle than fat, grabbed the oppossion. That was the end of that confrontation.

Will be nice to get back there and see old friends!
Old 08-03-2004, 03:26 AM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

whew! paid my deposit....

any fence sitters - get one of the last 2 spots if they are available before they are taken - you'll regret missing this buy
Old 08-03-2004, 03:30 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Randy, fence sitters are out of luck. As I said, I could do another run but that will take 100 packages next time around. Some people are interested in retailing the package so it may happen by December. If people want in on the next build they can drop me a line and $50 deposit. They will get their deposit back if it doesn't pull off.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:31 PM
MichelleJD
Jane Bond 007
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

How much for the full kit?
Old 08-03-2004, 04:04 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Michelle, I'm not totally sure yet as all the parts and associated shipping costs haven't come in yet. I don't believe quotes until I get an invoice. The previous full packages went for $198 plus the shipping which was $15. On the new ones the shipping won't change but the parts are going to push things up by 50 bucks, at least.

Anyone that says inflation isn't happening in industrial parts is crazy. I should go chart the spot price of copper against my cable prices. I think the economy perked up enough that manufacturers got bold and pushed through increases to get a fatter profit margin rather than eating things. Anyway, I should have final prices by the 11th and I don't think they will change much into the end of the year. And if I do 100 sets I'll get some price breaks. When you order a half mile of premium welding cable people's pencils get pretty busy.

Quick Reply: Battery Cable Update