Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling Fans Won't Shut Off!?!?! - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2004, 08:22 PM
flamingeye
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem. I would suggest draining the coolant first. It is an easy fix, but you have to be double jointed to do it as it is in a really inaccessable place. It makes it easier to also remove the airbox.
I managed to undo it eventually with an adjustable spanner,(sideways) opening it to fit over. Luckily it was not seized, gave a turn and did the rest by hand. Be prepared to lose some skin.
The first turn of the coolant drain screw snapped off the head. I managed to undo it with a (broken) stud extractor. If this happens to anyone. be careful as it is very easy to wind it in and then disappear inside, which you don't want! So, I made another screw from turning and threading some nylon.
Hopefully the pics upload ok. One shows the location (red circle) pic taken from(your) drivers side, stood next to the wheel facing away from the windscreen.(just so you get the orientation)
The other is dropping the camera down inside(I did this to help me to see what the hell was going on down there)
The other pic is (the culprit) what they look like.
Last pic. new and broken screw.
Good luck!!!!!!!
Attached Images     

Quick Reply: Cooling Fans Won't Shut Off!?!?! - HELP!