Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Compressor not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 11:15 PM
rihaa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Compressor not engaging

Ok, so I recharged my AC on wednesday and the compressor seems to be working just fine while I am recharging the system. The next day it is no longer blowing anywhere near as cold as a full system should. This continutes and I figure that I have a pretty big leak in the system.

I take it in to the local service shop and have them check it for a leak and they say that the system is full and there are no leaks but the compressor is not engaging properly.

They are trying to troubleshoot some of the electrical connections but haven't found anything yet. Anyways, they are going to finish working on it monday, but as I will be leaving to drive to Cleveland wednesday and need to pack the car for the move and such any extra time I might have will be needed in packing. So are there any possibilities you guys can think of that I might be able to suggest to the guy that might get me the car back earlier in the day at all?
Old 07-31-2004, 11:24 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any unusual sounds? My father witnessed an A/C failure in the S2 accompanied by a loud shriek, followed by a pop. Turned out to be that the system was low on lubricant, FWIW.

At any rate, your description sounds like a failing compressor clutch, perhaps?
Old 07-31-2004, 11:43 PM
rihaa
Racer

my quess would be more along the lines of the compressor clutch as well. No loud sounds at all, I am almost certain that the compressor is still functioning properly when it does engage.

Any idea on how dificult the clutch would be to replace on it?
Old 07-31-2004, 11:54 PM
The DareDevil
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Possibly a bad pressure sensor.
Old 08-01-2004, 04:12 PM
Glenn N
AutoX

Test the low pressure switch first. If you have 12VDC on both terminals of the switch (with it connected) the clutch is faulty. If you only have voltage on one terminal the switch is open .. either faulty or low on coolant. If you have no voltage there then you need to test the A/C realy and fuses and if those are good it could be the A/C switch or the A/C amplifier module.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:46 AM
rihaa
Racer

Turns out that that circuit was indeed open and that was what was causing the problem. Works fine now.

Very good thing to have AC when I will be driving across CA and NV in the middle of summer on my way to cleveland.
Old 08-03-2004, 10:07 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wait.... What was the problem? What did you have to fix, the fuse?
Old 08-03-2004, 02:44 PM
rihaa
Racer

I'm not totally sure what they did to fix it, but it is working now. This was something I had in at the local service station because I had too much other stuff to try and take care of to get ready for the cross country drive/move.

Quick Reply: Compressor not engaging