Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Never, ever Ever EVER use ramps...

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 03:11 AM
Serge944
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 29 Posts

Why yuse ramps....jack stands are a lot better. Unless youre putting on a swaybar and dont want any pre load.

From Costco, i bought a 3 1/2 ton jack and 4 large stands for a little over 100.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:50 AM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I made the mistake of buying a jack that was cheap. It didn't have the lift i needed and now, cuz i told them its not the right jack, and 2 that it doesn't even hold to its 2 ton weight limit (it would lower itself before hitting its peak) they will not return it, nothing wrong with it either cosmeticaly, so they should return it, or at least give me store credit. I had to use my mechanical jack and just put it on jack stands from there.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:54 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wanted the ramps just for the easy stuff, oil changes all that kinda stuff. Whole point was so I wouldnt have to jack the car. I bought some 6500lb ProRamp (I think thats the brand name) with some bolt on extensions. I had no clearance issues its just the depression for the wheel well is too shallow, so the car can get enough momentum rolling into it to roll out...

Not much damage, all I can see so far is the two plastic underside trim bits and bent in, I think the flange they screw to is bent. Otherwise the car landed so that the jack points took most of the weight, the ramps didnt slide anywhere. Thank freaking god for that. Next week theyre going in the box and back to Canadian Tire. I want my $50 back, even if I have to take store credit, ill just walk out with 20 liters of oil

And I have some good solid stands, I just decided to try to save myself some time

Oh well, at least theres a shiny new rad in there.
Old 07-30-2004, 06:47 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I use Rhino Ramps all the time, for most maintenance tasks it spares me breaking out the jack and jackstands, and I feel the ramps are far safer than jackstands.

Sam
Old 07-30-2004, 08:53 AM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I also use ramps all the time as well. Advance auto sells some heavy duty plastic type ramps that are low profile and work great for our cars. I was leary about the material they were made of, but they are really strong and rated much heavier than our cars. Most people know how to get their car on ramps without driving too far, i'm not so sure how the hell you drive too far if you are careful. I also feel the ramps are safer than jack stands.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:10 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by theedge
I bought some 6500lb ProRamp (I think thats the brand name) with some bolt on extensions. I had no clearance issues its just the depression for the wheel well is too shallow, so the car can get enough momentum rolling into it to roll out...
Are these yellow metal with red plastic extensions? I've used these before and liked them a lot but had to leave them behind because they were too bulky to ship and store.

It's true that it's a little scary to get the car up on them, but I got the hang of it pretty quickly and trusted them more than the plastic "Rhino ramp" brand.

Glad your car is okay.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:07 AM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 93 Posts

I have a pair of ramps and don't use them much. Not only did I fear what happened to you, but I've had them kick out when going up about half way. To prevent that, I had to put a couple 2x4s from the ramp to the wall in the garage. After all the time to set that up, it's just easier to use a jack and jackstands.
Old 07-30-2004, 02:18 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 167 Posts

I use the Rhino ramps, well-defined depression at the top. First couple of times I used them, I pulled the bathroom mirror of the wall and angled it in the floor in the garage so I could see my progress from the driver's seat. Might be a good alternative to a two-person ramping operation.

Jacks and jack stands make me nervous. Now if I only had a full-size lift in the garage...
Old 07-30-2004, 03:37 PM
Little Porsche Boy
Instructor

Location: Auburn, Washington & San Diego ............................. Terry

One of the tthings that I've done in the past when using ramps is to take a wheel chock and put it in front of the rear tires. I wag the distance so the rear tire hits the chock before the front tire goes too far.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:50 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 944pete
Seriously, if you're going to do any kind of work on your car buy a good quality jack, 4 heavy duty jackstands, and ramps. Don't cheap out on this stuff.
You can't fix the car when it's lying on your chest.
Its so True!.. Pete what you suggested before is what I did do.. Jack and use ramps but only when needing load on the suspention otherwise I always used the jack and jackstands! but no longer!
Old 07-30-2004, 04:17 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Why yuse ramps....jack stands are a lot better."

I have the Rhino ramps and they're fast. I can even put them down on the garage floor, run out and drive the car onto them without even looking. Takes all of 30-seconds. They have a big stop at the end so you can't drive off the end. You'll push the ramp forwards before you roll off the end. Then when I'm done adjusting the front sways, I pull out and back up onto them to do the back swaybar. Piece of cake!
Old 07-31-2004, 01:13 AM
Waterguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are the Rhinos wide enough for the rear tires? I am having trouble finding any lkocally that will handle 255s. Mind you, 2x8 planks and wooden blocks work just fine if you remember not to drive off the end. (Can you say "clutch control" boys and girls? Sure, I knew you could.)
Old 07-31-2004, 01:22 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 167 Posts

I put my 968 up on them with 275's in the back, seems fine.

NOTE: When ramping the rear of the car, you will notice that the ramps will "shoot" out from under the wheels when you try to drive off of them. Not all the time, but the torque of the drive wheels will have a tendency to send those ramps a flyin'.

Also, I've noticed the Rhino's have tendency to walk a bit on a smooth garage floor. My solution has been to place them at the lip of the garage/driveway intersection where there is about a 3/4 inch lip. They seem to stay put and the angle actually leaves me with a ramped car that is a bit more level.

If you're afraid of them moving and all alone, try the mirror trick above. It has saved me at least once.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:48 AM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

I know how you feel. I once ripped off the front valence whilst improperly using ramps!

-Christian
Old 07-31-2004, 04:17 AM
Bri Bro
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ramps require two people to insure the tires are aligned correctly and you are on the top of the ramp platform. Most of the time you can do it by yourself, but it is that one time can cause a lot of damage. Ramps are great for quick inspections and oil changes. Might want to place a piece of wood in front of my ramps to insure the valence will clear.

Quick Reply: Never, ever Ever EVER use ramps...