Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

212 mph porsche

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004 | 06:33 PM
pwille944
Advanced

Default 212 mph porsche

Evening all, I caught an interesting show on the stupid box last nite, the history channel, did a show on the autobahn in Germany. Short of it was there are still thousands of miles in in rural areas where there are still no speed limits... They were showing a company, forgot the name, initials RF I think that modified cars for high end clients. They showed a yellow porsche, at nite, do a speed test ride till it wouldn't go any faster, it topped out at 212MPH!!!. They had cameras inside the car, and let me tell you at 180 to 205 MPH the cars you pass are coming up fast. It was very interesting as they showed quite different upkeep and maintainence of these roads. I guess you don't want pot holes at 200 plus!!. It was worth watching..... Red
Old 07-29-2004 | 06:35 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

ive now seen it twice..!!
the car was tuned by RUF.....
the initaials are actually RUF...the U connects the R and F

It Is a very interesting show......how deep was it again? like 2-3 feet! hahaha!
Old 07-29-2004 | 06:50 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

It was a good watch.. Interesting how RUF tests each car- on open roads with traffic.
Old 07-29-2004 | 07:01 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Ive seen that same show too. A great one. Id pee myself silly if I pulled up to the "End of Enforced Speed Limits" Autobahn sign in a new RUF.

My dream would be a guy in a Firebird Formula pulling up next to me as we enter the highway, I roll down my window, and say "later."
Old 07-29-2004 | 07:03 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

And FYI, RUF aren't initial, it's Alois Ruf's last name. Pronounced like "Roof", as opposed to "Rough"
(I know, I buy my parts from Ruf's North American distributer, Weissach, just down the street from me.)

It's pretty cool they have all kinds of RUF merchandise and even suspension packages and wheels there!

The owner even visits rennlist quite often!
Old 07-29-2004 | 07:13 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Great show! It makes you sick how the control freaks in this country would never let that happen on our highways. The guy was right though. Americans are too busy eating and drinking and talking on their cell phones to be driving over 100mph, let alone at 55. We suck.

I got to drive over there and the roads are IMPECCABLE. Wish we had those quality roads in PA. Unfortunately, I didn't have a Porsche to drive with when I was there. I would have had a blast. Actually didn't see many Porsches, mostly Mercedes.
Old 07-29-2004 | 07:51 PM
Ben83944
Advanced

StoogeMoe- where were you in germany? I was in Munich, and there were mostly BMWs, (thats where theyre manufactured) and I'm betting theres lots of Porsches in Stuttgart.
Old 07-29-2004 | 09:11 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Campeck
ive now seen it twice..!!
the car was tuned by RUF.....
the initaials are actually RUF...the U connects the R and F

It Is a very interesting show......how deep was it again? like 2-3 feet! hahaha!

I believe thats the first CTR that came out on the show nicknamed "yellowbird" A very fast car still today! In fact I have a video of it at home beating a 996 RUF R Turbo on a landing strip in England. Absolutely amazing

Andy
Old 07-29-2004 | 10:10 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

And I was thrilled with 150 MPH in my car... Another 60 MPH would just be stunning
Old 07-30-2004 | 10:55 AM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ben83944
StoogeMoe- where were you in germany? I was in Munich, and there were mostly BMWs, (thats where theyre manufactured) and I'm betting theres lots of Porsches in Stuttgart.
I was in Munich also. I drove south from there to Austria, and about half across that country. Incredible scenery. I was very surprised at the lack of Porsches. I remember a fair amount of Bimmers too, but predominately Mercedes. And most of them were modified.
Old 07-30-2004 | 11:02 AM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Stooge.. I thought the roads in PA were pretty nice myself.. at least compared to rhode island. You know where Lake Wallempaupack is? That's where I go on vacation once a year, and the roads over there are simply amazing, and the speed limits are great too! I didn't get to bring my porsche there yet though.
Old 07-30-2004 | 01:30 PM
StoogeMoe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yieldsign2
Stooge.. I thought the roads in PA were pretty nice myself.. at least compared to rhode island. You know where Lake Wallempaupack is? That's where I go on vacation once a year, and the roads over there are simply amazing, and the speed limits are great too! I didn't get to bring my porsche there yet though.
Sure, I know where Wallenpaupack lake is. It's about 20 miles from my house. Actually the back roads are sometimes better than the interstate. I know this one killer road near me that winds along the Blue Mountain. Nice and smooth and turn after turn. And best of all...no place for cops to sit!
Old 07-30-2004 | 06:09 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

I drove my uncles z4, rather fast, through the roads around the lake for the week i was there.. I have never seen a cop in the 3 years ive driven around there. well i saw one at an accident, but never driving around... which is nice!
Old 07-30-2004 | 09:00 PM
Giantviper
Burning Brakes

I saw that show too. IT was pritty cool. Maybe if most American drivers were not such morons on the road and had to do everything except pay attention to what they should be, driving, we could have on too. There is a reason our cars do not have cup holders: BECAUSE THEY WERE MADE TO BE DRIVEN and when you drive u drive not pay attention to everthing else. If all american driver thought thaat there would hundreeds less accidents on the roads.

I also find RUF one of the coolest car comanies/ modifiers in the word. Some how they manage to take the best cars on earth and make them better. I have only seen a RUF once and it was in the Islands. I would love to get a chance to be behind the wheel of a CTR or Turbo R (some day). If only they imported to the US they are so cool.
Old 07-31-2004 | 01:09 AM
Baron009
Pro

I sorta wish our cars had cupholders though. I mean drinking a cofee while driving down a twisty road or in busy traffic is dumb, but when cruising for an hour or more, it's nice to have a bottle of water in reach... especially on a hot day when your a/c doesn't work! I mean even in motorsports the guys have easy access to fluids. But I personally don't want to have to wear like a camelpak while driving.

But other than a simple cupholders, tv's and dvd menus and that stuff should be left out of cars.

Quick Reply: 212 mph porsche