Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how much would you pay for 92 968 coupe with 951 engine and tranny??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 04:34 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Swagger - et. al. he was/is angry at me for what was edited out of my post referring to the last few times he has posted certain other things. A 5 sec search will let you all know if you really care to. I am not going to get into it again with him as it isnt fair to him. He *might* just be asking questions, rather than what I think he is doing. Either way, none of my business, I edited it out and wont bring it up again unless he really cares to. If he does care to this thread will probably end up deleted in a matter of minutes and no one will really gain anything from it (not that there is much to gain at this point).
Old 07-29-2004, 04:38 PM
H964
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

well its not my project, these guys are my friends, and had a 968 with no motor nor tranny laying around for a while, now that he wrekked his 951, he was thinking do the swap intead of parting out the car. he owns his own garage and labor is not a issue for him.
now iam the one intersted and would like to know if it would be worth it.
i was thiking no more than 10k$ for the car but he was more leaning towards 13k
anyway, this was just a survey, the car is not even done yet.
thanks again
Old 07-29-2004, 04:41 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

To add to this.........

Mike, if you are interested in a real-world comparison of values for a car like that, do a search for username "turby" here and on the 951 BBS. I know he finished a project like that earlier this year and was trying to sell it. Maybe you should PM him and see if he sold it and what he got for it?
Old 07-29-2004, 04:57 PM
Mike Murcia
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A hybrid car like a 951/968 can't be built with aspirations of making money on it...unless you are building it for a customer. The value of the car does not necessarily go down, but your target market becomes much smaller. I swapped the engine on my 951, and even thought it is still a 951 engine, I do not expect to get the same resale value for it. Whem modifying, you can typically prevent huge losses in the value of the car, but I would never modify to increase the value of the car to the general public. Again, the target market becomes smaller.

As for turbocharging a 968 engine, I'd rather do the 951 swap. 951 parts are much easier to find, and much less expensive, but that decision reflects my budget as of now. Nevertheless, aren't we all on a budget of some sort? In addition to the money, your pool of tech support is larger with a 951 engine than a turbo 968 engine. It's on my list of future projects. The refinery of a 968 interior with the raw power of a 951 engine is something I'm looking forward to.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:00 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

968 Chassis - I was offered one a 500 bucks and another with most of the interior at 1200 dollars.
951 drivetrain - about 4K in good condition (high)

total car - maybe 8-10K, for 13K it better be damn near perfect.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:10 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt H
968 Chassis - I was offered one a 500 bucks and another with most of the interior at 1200 dollars.
951 drivetrain - about 4K in good condition (high)

total car - maybe 8-10K, for 13K it better be damn near perfect.
<WARNING>Thread HiJack<WARNING>

OK, while we are talking about pieces and parts of cars, swapping, and drivetrain worths..............What is the going price for a decent 968 motor, DME, harness, Radiator, flywheel, bellhousing, and torque tube? I assume more than a 951 complete drivetrain including transmission (due to supply/demand issues)?
Old 07-29-2004, 05:26 PM
NeedPorscheSpeed
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike Murcia
a) The value of the car does not necessarily go down, but your target market becomes much smaller.

b) As for turbocharging a 968 engine, I'd rather do the 951 swap. 951 parts are much easier to find, and much less expensive, but that decision reflects my budget as of now.

c) The refinery of a 968 interior with the raw power of a 951 engine is something I'm looking forward to.
You make many excellent points, Mike, of which I have listed the most salient

a) Excellent point. I am a textbook example of that: I was specifically looking for a tastefully well-modded 951. When I saw Ian's, I couldn't sleep at night until I had bought her. (I pick up that sleep depriving redhead on Saturday, BTW). Now, many others out there wouldn't have even thought twice about purchasing a modded 951, as they would rather do the work themselves, and/or due to fear of what might have been done improperly. Those are valid reasons, but after talking to Ian, realizing how much heart and soul he had put into the car, and considering how much money it would take for me to duplicate his creation, I decided to go for it.

a) In terms of budget, I, too, would rather go with a 951 engine, even though the potential is somewhat less than for a 968 motor. Now, if funds are no issue, I'd take the 968 16V motor, of course.

c) I also would cherish the refinement of the 968 coupled with the huge potential of the 951 engine. That is why I would be willing to pay $12,000 to $13,000 for one that has been done right and is in pristine condition. All that beauty and potential!!! It makes my mouth water!
Old 07-29-2004, 08:39 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There have been some nice clean installations of 951 motors into 968's, but many are backyard specials. It's all going to come down to how well engineered the swap is. If it's done successfully, pro built or not, it'll go like hell. But for resale and peace of mind you'd want a pro built setup.

Just like what I'm going to Powerhaus next week to talk about . . .

Quick Reply: how much would you pay for 92 968 coupe with 951 engine and tranny??