Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heater control valve how to?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 12:59 PM
clangjr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater control valve how to?

Does anyone have a "how to" on how to change the heater control valve? How about some pictures at the very least? Trying to figure out exactly where this thing is and how to get to it to change it.
Thanks,
Chuck
Old 07-28-2004, 01:19 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It is a plastic valve just above the bellhousing, with 2 coolant hoses plugging into it and a vacuum line.
Old 07-28-2004, 01:30 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Karl being the experienced mechanic aficionado that he is, didn't mention that on the 2.5 liter cars the HCV is a bit aggravating to replace, due to the limited space that surrounds it.

Be very careful not to lean on the speed reference sensor plugs while accessing the HCV hose clamps. I found it easiest to sit on the strut towers to have better reach. It's also tricky getting the cable clamped on the new HCV. You need to fiddle with the temperature lever in the center console so that you can see the metal clasp and undo it.

COVER THE CLUTCH INSPECTION HOLE to keep the metal clasp or other items from falling in there!
Old 07-28-2004, 01:49 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you could also reroute it to where the late cars have it so you dont drip anitfreeze in your clutch....
Old 07-28-2004, 01:53 PM
Wildstar
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As someone who recently did this, I am give some tips. PM me. Oh, and I don't know if this is standard, but my HCV was actually located along the side of the engine and NOT over the bellhousing like earlier models. I don't know if this is a custom mod the PO did or just something that is different with the S2 vs. earlier models.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:02 PM
BruceWard
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

On the 968 the HCV is over the oil filter. I assume it is the same on the S2?

It is no fun to change it in that location, you need to remove the oil filter to make room. But it shounds like it is much easier than the early car location!
Old 07-28-2004, 02:32 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've also done the HCV R/R on the S2, which is in the location Bruce indicates and is definitely a cinch compared to the 2.5 liter engine HCV location.
Old 07-28-2004, 02:55 PM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2004, 06:02 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

The trick is to assemble the valve and it's hoses off the car, then install this as an assembly. Use the old one as a guide to get the hoses in the correct orientation. I was able to reach the clamps with a 1/4 drive ratchet and extensions. A long screwdriver would have worked just as well.
Old 07-28-2004, 06:12 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Luis de Prat
Karl being the experienced mechanic aficionado that he is, didn't mention that on the 2.5 liter cars the HCV is a bit aggravating to replace, due to the limited space that surrounds it.

Be very careful not to lean on the speed reference sensor plugs while accessing the HCV hose clamps. I found it easiest to sit on the strut towers to have better reach. It's also tricky getting the cable clamped on the new HCV. You need to fiddle with the temperature lever in the center console so that you can see the metal clasp and undo it.

COVER THE CLUTCH INSPECTION HOLE to keep the metal clasp or other items from falling in there!

HAHAHA, i guess i am just so use to my engine and car being in pieces (or having missing peices), that i forget that there are normally things in the way...

Like Luis said, it is kind a pain to get to, unless you have the intake manifold removed.

Quick Reply: Heater control valve how to?