Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam cover gasket r&r ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 09:00 PM
So Cal 89 944
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam cover gasket r&r ?

Hello

I just recently purchased an 89 944 n/a auto with a major oil leak. PO thought it was a blown motor. I've traced it down to a leaking cam cover gasket. It pours out of the second to last cam cover mounting bolt in the back pass side across to the exhaust flange and on to the exhaust. He recently had a blown head gasket and $3300 later everything was new e.g. head, belts,tensioners, etc.

My question is do I need to set the motor at tdc to replace the gasket ?
I know the lifters are in the cover and to be careful.
Isn't the cam mounted to the head ?
I'm mechanically capable and do all my own work on my cars.
Any info on what to expect would be appreciated !

I've printed camshaft assembly removal from Clarks-garage.com as a tutorial.

TIA Jeff
Old 07-26-2004, 09:13 PM
s928s
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cam is mounted in the cam housing ( cover ) Yes you need to set the motor to tdc. if replacing Te
cam cover gasket you should also replace the rear cam plug cover and the front cam shaft seal.

check www.clarks-garage.com, as a good how to.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:44 PM
a.n.other
Instructor

If the front cam shaft seal (behind the rotor arm) is not leaking I would not bother changing that, but i would change the easy rear cork gasket. Haynes manual has a pretty good write up if i remember correct - handy to have a few pictures to go with Clarks garage. A tip is when removing the bolts holding the cam housing on (15 of them i think) you will need an allen key - one of those interchangeable screwdriver bits are ideal with a small ratchet and an extension, then put some grease on the end of the allen key bit so the bolt sticks to it and you can pull them out of the housing (and same for putting them back).

I would set it to TDC because the cam shaft will turn when you pull the housing off, so easier to put it back to the right place at TDC - no need to lock the flywheel though.

The cam housing is separate from the head - have a look at the webpage in my sig for a picture of the cam housing on the sidewalk!

That was my first job on the car and got me $500 knocked off the price i'd agreed with the seller (he said his mate would fix it and then he didn't fix it) - well worth it!
Old 07-27-2004, 01:15 AM
Jakerx
Hitsquad Ninja
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yay another '89 944 joins the list. welcome
Old 07-27-2004, 02:31 AM
So Cal 89 944
Intermediate

Thanks again for the responses guys. TDC it is.
Andy is the Porsche casting on the ground in your pic? I see the cam gear in the pic. But I still don't see the cam. Forgive my ignorance I'm used to good ole fashioned Chevy's.
Does anyone have an exploded view of the cam/cover assembly? Porsche and Haynes manual are so so.
When I start my disassembly I plan on taking tons of pics too help out my fellow Rennlist newbies. I also plan on taking some before and after pics of my girl with her new shoes.
Hey priorities first right. he he!
Of course a herniated disc has me sidelined!!! grrr!!!

Jeff
Old 07-27-2004, 04:04 AM
a.n.other
Instructor

Yes that's the cam housing on the ground (with the 'Porsche' lettering on the ground) - you can see the lifters which easily slide/fall out and then you can see the camshaft under those - the lifters are normally inbetween the camshaft and the valve springs (on one of the other pictures). I would have taken more photos, but i was on the street, not even right outside my apartment - parking in San Francisco is sooo rubbish!

also check your private messages (link at top of page).
Old 07-28-2004, 08:26 PM
pwille944
Advanced

I had the exact problem last week,a friend changed the gasketfor me . Sure enough there is a hollow bolt right in the back of the cam cover that fires oil up right in that area and caused a bad drip right on the manifold.Check the age of the other items while in there, as you need to remove all the covers and belts.I ended up changing the radiator, water pump,thermostat and thermo sensor balance and timing belts and all new rollers and tensioners, hoses,drive belts, I'm getting in a sweat just thinking about all those parts.It solved the leak, but the car is still running hot. The haynes manual and info I got from Rennlist people were a great help, good luck.I got the parts from Paragon,they treated me ok. Red.

Quick Reply: Cam cover gasket r&r ?