Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What the heck is this new law? (Calif)

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 11:44 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What the heck is this new law? (Calif)

[rant on]
My GF and I recently moved into a new neighborhood, but have been pragued with an unknown neighbor leaving anonymous notes threatening to have our cars impounded for parking on the street. Now, between the two of us, we have four cars and one parking space -- so three are on the street. And sometimes, we may not move one for 72 hours -- which the City of Los Angeles would consider "storage" and illegal (LA Muni Code: sec 80.73.2). But sometimes this yahoo would leave a note for parking overnight -- way less than 72 hours threatening us to get a car towed as a part of "neighborhood watch" program.

So I did a little research as to what he might actually be able to do and came across this new law in California: AB 1847. I guess this passsed just one month ago. Have I read this incorrectly, or does it actually mean that some "volunteer" in a neighborhood watch program can get a car towed without police presence just because he thinks he's in the right? Seems like an onset of a vigilante justice to me!

I've called up towing companies today and got mixed answers on this one: some places says yes, some says no way without police present.

In the meantime, I'm parking far from that block, but what do I do for the long haul? Call ACLU? Move? (I just moved in last month...)
[/rant off]
Old 07-23-2004, 12:11 AM
Kurt R
Hates Family Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

OK, I'm not a lawyer and I don't play one on TV. But I did read it.
First, the yahoo would have to be "trained" to enforce the regulations. Probably not much of a problem for a busybody. He can also leave you all the notes he wants
1.As part of these patrol activities, the volunteers are authorized, in conjunction with the traffic control duties, to place a warning notice on illegally parked vehicles notifying the vehicle owner that he or she has 72 hours to remove the offending vehicle or it may be towed from the location.
He can also have it towed without contacting the police
2.This bill would authorize these volunteers to remove such vehicles without notifying a law enforcement officer, but only under the following specified circumstances :
When a vehicle is illegally parked or left standing for more than 72 consecutive hours on a roadway in violation of a local ordinance. /snip
I'd save every note he puts on your cars, and if you can establish a pattern of harrasement you could possibly get his "volunteer" status revoked, but he could still call the cops if your cars are on the street too long. I'd maybe look for offstreet parking for two of the cars if that's possible.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:30 AM
nickhance
Three Wheelin'

www.ahrc.com
Ugly design, but there's a lot of useful things on here.
Don't bitch about the user-friendliness of that site, it's a nightmare, I know.

I'm the developer, but I'm not involved with the content.

EDIT: Nothing on the site about that. It might be useful if you're in a homeowners association though.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:48 AM
josephsc
Race Car

Nah, this new one goes further than the article in that website -- we're talking about parking a fully registered vehicle on public street on public property. Not a part of a community where they can set whatever rules they want.

I've actually already talked to some detectives about this -- they won't get involved until someone gets hurt. This was LAPD, so I didn't use the word "harrassment" -- that gets easily mistaken for police harrassment.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:55 AM
Dan in Pasadena
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JosephSC - I think the simple answer to your question is "Yes" under certain circumstance this "Neighobrhood-Nose"- as I call them, might be able to get you towed. You'd be liable for towing costs and impound fees and would have to sue to recover..if you could. He probably is one of those people that attended Neighborhood Watch training as a Facilitator and now considers him/herself some sort of self appointed Watchdog. I feel for you guy. Those people need a life. What you can do. Well, you could try talking to him...but I doubt this sort of guy would listen. He's made up his mind already. Good luck and try talking to a few local police officers. Maybe you can enlist there concern...maybe ?!
Old 07-23-2004, 01:08 AM
josephsc
Race Car

I'm actually more concerned about the rationale behind this law. I did some more background check, and it appears that the bill was sponsored by LA County Sheriffs Department because -- get this -- budget constraints! The idea is to let citizens enforce the law because they don't have enough resources.
Old 07-23-2004, 05:23 AM
vette4lyfe
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know in some parts of pasadena, Hastings Ranch in particular, youll get a ticket if you car is on the street after 2 am.. either park in a driveway, or the park and ride.. but i dno about other neighbors towing you or anything like that..
Old 07-23-2004, 05:25 AM
Jack '84 928s
Drifting

Well get certified and put notes on his car lol. Thats what i would do just to spite someone that did that to me.....
Old 07-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Mouthpiece
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jack '84 928s
Well get certified and put notes on his car lol. Thats what i would do just to spite someone that did that to me.....
Joe, I was going to make the same suggestion. Become a trained volunteer, not just to mess with the other guy, but so that you know exactly what is legal and what is illegal parking. That way you can always make sure you're legal and have grounds to go after this other guy if he improperly has you towed.

You're not alone in your frustration. I have a friend who lives in Wyckoff, NJ (about 30 miles outside of NYC), where it's illegal to park on the street between 1 am - 6 am, even if you're in front of your own house!
Old 07-23-2004, 01:50 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if you guys are stressing about such STUPID things, as wether or not its legal to park your car in front of your house, I suggest you pack up your things and move.

I can't imagine having to worry about getting my car towed because of some nosey wannabe cop. I would LOVE to catch the rat bastard in the act and ask say: "I have 4 cars and one parking spot. WTF do you want me to do? Leave me alone."
Old 07-23-2004, 04:59 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Guys lets watch the language on here. You can go back and edit your posts or I can go in and edit or delete. You choose.
Let's work together to keep this place above the ricer forums, ok?
Old 07-23-2004, 06:23 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Thanks Rock.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:01 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to Kalifornia. Stupid rules like this have been around forever. Thank goodness the cops are overworked responding to real stuff than to enforce all the bull****. If they did, people would seriously be unable to live normal lives. Just figure out a way around it. Go out every two days and just turn the car around in the same spot if need be. That's good enough I suppose.

And keep an eye on HIS car. Is it leaking any fluids? If so, there are pollution laws you can get him nailed for. Is he EVER parking in a red zone? If so, call your friendly neighborhood parking department. . . Payback is a bitch, just make sure he knows it.
Old 07-23-2004, 11:20 PM
prophesized
Instructor

set up a camera recording your car so you can see who it is then go confront him about it.
Old 07-24-2004, 11:46 AM
silverBean
Burning Brakes

He's just a bastard! and most likely envious of the beauty that is porsche

Quick Reply: What the heck is this new law? (Calif)