Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any way to rehabilitate the torque tube?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 08:02 PM
rihaa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way to rehabilitate the torque tube?

I know that rebuilt ones exist out there, but I don't really have/want to spend another $500+ on a new torque tube that from what I've been told will be back to making noise again in no time. Anyways, the bearings in mine are making a fair amount of noise and I was wondering if it would work at all to pack a bunch of grease and such up in there to try and quiet them down a bit. I am kinda shocked that porsche made this with the large opening running the entire length of the bottom of the tube with only an aluminized tape closing it up.

This just seemed to ask for any grease that was in there to leak out/get a bunch of dirt and crap up there in the bearings as that tape got old and came off. I will probably just be tearing off all that tape and redoing it with simple duct tape while I'm down there, because anything is better than that aluminized stuff that was falling off and broken.

So in short, will packing it with grease/some WD40 do anything to help things, or should I just not even bother?
Old 07-22-2004, 08:11 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All the bearings are sealed units, you can only replace them. I make new tubes from aluminum (when I have the time). Your only options are 1) put up with it 2) get a used one and hope it's good 3) get a rebuilt and hope it lasts 4) aluminum one from me. Unfortunately, my job recently has put a severe crimp in getting any made and I have several folks wanting one.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:16 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 113 Posts

You can replace the bearings yourself, just make sure you do not get the wrong clearance bearings (the common bearing is too tight to allow for heat.) If you get a rebuilt tube I'd be a bit concerned the rebuilder would use the common bearings which do not last. You have to make a tool to hook the bearings out (loooong piece of threaded rod with a bearing hook on the end) and get lenghts of pipe the right diameter to press in the new bearings. Of course after birthing the torque tube that part will seem easy.

-Joel.
Old 07-22-2004, 09:11 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Grease may make them quieter for a little while, WD40 will do nothing.

Quick Reply: Any way to rehabilitate the torque tube?