Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT but i can't get in...so here it is..resignation thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 03:23 AM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts
Default OT but i can't get in...so here it is..resignation thread

Well, guys, I'm here to say something. First of all I really like the crowd here and I thank you for all your support in the assistance of the restoration of both my 84 which was smashed to **** in January, helping me deal with the hurt my former fiancee left me and now I have some personal issues I have to resolve now in my life. BIG ISSUES...

The forums look great the design is great. Congratulations John and the people who helped you create an improvement. But, I don't understand why I have to subscribe now to post in the off-topic forum. Anyways, I have never really posted anything offensive enough to get me banned but I feel discouraged to subscribe to rennlist now due to some changes in policy here. Anyways I will eventually 'lurk' only to help those who are crying for help and I will assist to the best of my knowledge.

I've been a member here since 2001 which probably isn't that long but I have seen almost every revolution on this board and changes within it from users to moderator. I am resigning my presence here for a while until I can find a reason to courteously post without any insults or harrassments as well. Since there are occasions where I am considered not apart of the team, I am leaving in respect for those who would like to only associate with their own brethen. I wish you all good luck and god speed with your Porsches. Thank you...

Andy
Old 07-21-2004, 03:28 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

edit---please no one post to this....I really hope you dont.. let it die

Last edited by Campeck; 07-21-2004 at 04:31 AM.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:31 AM
Don 944 LA
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you just contribute to the site.. and the new developments.
I have no source of income at the moment, and I just joined like a week ago.
I was starting to feel guilty for having as many posts without actually belonging.

I once belonged to a board for an off-road club. As the club grew, certain things were taken advantage of and finally some things were only accessable by members of the actual club. Many were upset, but in the end it calmed down and it evolved.

(EDIT) I'll believe it when my sh*t turns purple and smells like rainbow sherbert

Old 07-21-2004, 03:31 AM
Rock
Lazer Beam Shooter
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey dude dont be so hasty to leave. Maybe John will change it back. Maybe it was a mistake and he didnt mean to do it? ... Damn was the OT forum really that good? Maybe i need to check it out sometime.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:13 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

I agree....Why trip on such trivial crap? You shouldnt take this personal at all- episodes like this is like GAS...it too, will PASS....

Leggo-the-eggo
Zach
Old 07-22-2004, 01:16 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Stig, don't take it personal. No one "banned" you! John made the OT forum for members only for the very simple reason (I can only assume) that there are enough idiots in the OT (including myself) that go at it sometimes, and things get heated -- I'm sure he doesn't want perspective members to see the immaturity and think that is what Rennlist is. Reserving the OT forum for members only is a brilliant thing to do.

The way I see it is you should simply send 18 bucks to Rennlist and join up for Pete's sake. I've seen you in the OT forum and I think you will be missed if you take this personally and "resign" when you should JOIN.

18 bucks man, not a lot for what you get.

BTW, change is never easy right away. I've seen Rennlist change a ton over the years and each time, at first you are taken aback, not sure what to think. But then you realize it's all good. John's got your best interest at heart, seriously.

Hope you reconsider.

-Matt
Old 07-22-2004, 01:28 AM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Matt I'm going to be honest here. If i pay my 18 bucks what am I going to get? What will I gain that I can't gain from anywhere else. I've always helped you 944 owners and 928 owners and even some 911 owners with whatever I have learned about these cars to help you overcome your issues ever since the my first post on here. It's not John D's vendetta to ban me. That is a fallacy. But rather those who have reported me and 'cried' about my posts on this board that were 'controversial to them' in an attempt to interdict my humorous ice-breaking ways to ease the tension off this board. Personally 18 bucks will get me the gas in my car to drive to my school which i'm paying a thousand bucks a month for and maybe enough money to take a date out for a small cozy meal and a walk on the beach.

Give me a good reason why I should become a member; my services won't be any different. The only way my services would be different to this board is if I was a sponsor similar to Rennbay, Power Works and others who have contributed to the finances of this organization. Other than I'm a useless fish swimming around in a very big pond.

Andy
Old 07-22-2004, 02:01 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by TheStig
Matt I'm going to be honest here. If i pay my 18 bucks what am I going to get? What will I gain that I can't gain from anywhere else.
Well, if you can find the information and comradare anywhere else on the Internet, please tell ME because I will go there too. Seriously Andy, 18 bucks a year? I'll tell you what 35 cents a week gets you...

- Unlimited access to some of the brightest minds in the Porsche techincal community to help you fix your car when the need arises (and it will arise).
- Discounts at selected vendors which will save you much more then $18, probably in one sale.
- Access to group buys, which will save you much more then $18, probably in one sale.
- Personal web space, photo gallery to upload all your photos to share (without bandwidth/size limitations).
- The knowledge that your one bite has helped to eat the elephant that is the maintenance costs associated with operating the hands-down best Porsche website ever.

I think you are looking at it from the wrong perspective. You aren't "paying" $18 to John D. It isn't going into his pocket. It is combined with the many other generous paying members' $18 to help eat the elephant. I'm sure you've heard the saying - how do you eat an elephant? Well, you do that one bite at a time Andy, and your $18 is one bite - an important bite - combined with my $18, combined with everyone's $18, helps Rennlist survive.

Other than I'm a useless fish swimming around in a very big pond.
That's where you're wrong. Rennlist isn't a "business" per se. It's a community driven and partially community funded (but mostly funded by the founders John and Jen out of pocket) website that has even Porsche AG paying attention!

Be honest -- it's not the dollar amount that's bothering you. $18/year is NOTHING. Anyone who says it is too much for them to handle, yet drives a Porsche, is either stupid or lying. The issue is your thoughts on "paying" for Rennlist. But as I mentioned, you're not "paying" for Rennlist. Your contributing to the cause to help Rennlist survive. Plain and simple. The choice is up to you.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:12 AM
jp944
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think of it like the Public Broadcast Service. PBS is funded by lots of people, because they understand the value of the service and are willing to contribute to make sure it doesn't just go away. Sure, you can get it for free. If it came down to your $18 being the difference between paying for another month of bandwidth or letting Rennlist close down, would it be worth it then? No one should feel pressured to join rennlist, but as you point out the services change very little with membership. Classifieds and OT. I guess the one good reason to join is:

If the bills don't get paid, then the services go away for Members and Non-Members alike. If you don't care, don't pay. If you would like to see rennlist stick around, then pay.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:14 AM
944S2NUT
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

AH that fiancee leaving is a horrid feeling! My wife and I just recently got back together from a falling out. I hope things go well for you in the future. Hope you stick around for those newb porsche owners including myself.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:20 AM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

cya, if ya cant join them...leave them.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:32 AM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

This thread will be void when John D wakes up.

END OF DISCUSSION.

Andy
Old 07-22-2004, 02:34 AM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

DELETE AND DESTROY
Old 07-22-2004, 02:39 AM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

This thread will be void when John D wakes up.

END OF DISCUSSION.

Andy
What is the problem? John D. probably hasn't even gone to bed!
Old 07-22-2004, 02:40 AM
Mongo
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

sorry I'm on PST, i figured most of ya were asleep already with the exception of those in the chatroom right now...

Andy

Quick Reply: OT but i can't get in...so here it is..resignation thread