Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT but i can't get in...so here it is..resignation thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 01:33 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I think this one has run it's course.
The only gripe here has been the fact that you now have to be a paying member to post to the OT forums. John has a very good reason for that. If he decides to tell everyone the reason, fine, if not that's fine too. Trust me, it's not to try to get more people to pay up.
The OT forum doesn't even have to exist. It's a perk. It could just have easily vanished altogether.
Old 07-22-2004, 01:56 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TheStig
you know what, you guys think I can whipe my *** with 20's too?
I have never wiped my *** with any denomination of US currency before but I guess a $20 bill would be as good as any to start with.
I am going to go try that right now.

Old 07-22-2004, 02:04 PM
jp944
Pro

Originally Posted by Travis - sflraver
I have never wiped my *** with any denomination of US currency before but I guess a $20 bill would be as good as any to start with.
I am going to go try that right now.

Just remember to use paper currency. Three quarters, two dimes and a nickel just don't have the same effect.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:13 PM
kasturbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would you stop bitching and crying if I sent you a $20? I promise not to wipe my *** with it first...Maybe....

Seriously, I appreciate the fact that John is making members only areas. It makes us members feel like we are getting more then the non members which we should because we pay to help support the board. I would still pay either way, but it is nice to get the extra perks.
Old 07-22-2004, 02:25 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Hey Folks....

Stig - I want you to know this right up front - I respect you for sharing your views. Most folks just flame me in private and then return when they have calmed down. I understand that when something was "there" - then is not - some folks have a difficult time with that for whatever reason. Remember taking down the "Free Classifieds"? There was a reson for that as well - and most understood - some never did - and that's OK!

Look - each website has a different operating model. Ebay takes a commission, Pelican (and Wayne has done a tremendous job with his site, and he's always been a Rennlist supporter/sponsor (we sort of go way back - even to the time I hosted the Pelican site while he was getting his feet under him during the start up) - butu Pelican's BBS is supported through their parts sales, etc. In that regard - Rennlist is a bit different..?

Rather then a "business" - it's a bunch of "enthusiasts". I happen to be one myself - a therefore this site is supported from other "enthusiasts", Sponsors - and well, Jen's and my paying jobs. Would I like it to grow to the point it can be self sufficient and actually pay me a salary? Sure! It doesn't. Frankly - given the size - the costs are incremental to it's size. For that, I believe I'm also correct that Rennlist is the single largest Porsche enthusiast site out there. These Forums have more users then any other I'm aware of - and the e-mail subscribers number in the tens of thousands. And for that "size" - this site only exists due to a relatively tiny number of Members (about 1.2% of the overall Rennlist site users are Members), Sponsors - and still - Jen and I. And BTW - "Rennlist Corporate" exists over my garage - to minimize any overhead expenses.

That being said - becoming a Member is a personal choice for anyone. But - please understand when folks stand up and proclaim they can't use a "feature" and it their right to have access - so they have to post a "resignation thread" - is, well - simply silly. As well is the argument of "value" posted above? If you don't "value" the OT forum - then it "valueless", in which case - you never would have posted this thread..? If it does have "value" - then Rennlist in and of itself has "value" to you - so that's a pretty silly argument you stated above as well..?

I'm not trying to flame you - but rather - I've been struggling in the past 7 years to have Rennlist provide "value" to the point it will pay it's own way. It's getting there - but - do not condemn me for increasing the "value" of Membership to folks and complain that, at the same time - it's worth nothing to you..?

Anyway - I started off this thread by telling you I respect you and your views. Please try to understand my view as well..

Oh - and lighten up on Stig a bit.. He's really OK..

Best to you,

John
Old 07-22-2004, 02:33 PM
lilredpo
Pro

Don't go...I'm going to miss the Avatars!!!!! I need something to look forward to!
Old 07-22-2004, 03:15 PM
WesM951
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't really want to respond to this, but andy I always look forward to your posts Oh and the grid girls What else can I say.

Do what you feel is right. I just spent over $900 in the last two weeks on my car, most of the parts I bought where from rennlist members. If it wasn't for them, my car would still be in peices waiting on the parts I bought from rennlist members. Anywase, I really coulda used the $18, but who cares. I'm just happy my car is finally going to be on the road again. Thanks to rennlist! In my mind, it was well worth the $18. (We have free web hosting? )
Old 07-22-2004, 03:23 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by WesM951
.... (We have free web hosting? )
Yep - of course you do...!! It's included in the Membership fee... You have 200MB of storage (more if you need it), no banners, no watermarks and unlimited bandwidth....

I also just finished up FTP access for folks who have larger sites... I think there are about 300+ of them I'm hosting right now. They are backed up daily...

Best to you,

John
Old 07-22-2004, 03:56 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

John, since you are following this thread, anyway to make "read receipt" on PMs an option not the default? I hate clicking more times than necessary.
Old 07-22-2004, 03:56 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You're getting all snitted up because you can't get into the OT board? That's a bonus!
Old 07-22-2004, 04:07 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

John, you will have my $18 payment next week when I get paid. However, I am joining rennlist for those who enjoy whatever posts I have done to help them, not to mention I am an enthusiast. But people who flame me better stay off my threads and not hijack them since that isn't a true rennlister's intentions.

And for joining this community I'm not asking for the respect of everyone, I'm not even asking you guys to stop hating me (those who do) But do yourselves the favor come to your senses and realize we all own the same marque of car here, whether we are different people or not. And if we have problems and if someone knows about it, than by god please share it with the rest of us so we can fix it and owe you some assitance when you need it.

This post and my griping is over with. Even when I become a member, I don't think I'm going to use the offtopic as much as I will the many other forums I've been surfing thru lately. See ya'll in 8 days as a member...

Andy
Old 07-22-2004, 04:19 PM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TheStig
yadda yadda yadda
See ya'll in 8 days as a member...
For sticking in there and realizing what it's really about, I'll renew your membership come next year. That is, if you go through with your initial offer

Old 07-22-2004, 04:23 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Stig, I'm glad to hear you are sticking around. Joining is, of course, icing on the proverbial cake. Soon, you'll be able to read about my boneheadded stunt for the day...

BB.
Old 07-22-2004, 04:29 PM
Mongo
Official Bay Area Patriot
Fuse 24 Assassin
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 62 Posts

Beerburner what was the stunt? COuldn't be more boneheaded than me And I do have a pretty hard head....

Andy
Old 07-22-2004, 04:31 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

I allowed myself to get distracted and tried to hit a car with a baby in it. Fortunately, the Jetta has damn good brakes.

BB.

Quick Reply: OT but i can't get in...so here it is..resignation thread