Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to tell the condition of a tranny...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 07:58 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question How to tell the condition of a tranny...

Well i have this spare transaxle sitting in my garage. It's condition is unknown, i believe its from an early 944 but i'm not sure. Is there any way to tell the mechanical condition of this transaxle without just putting it in my car?

I have the side opened up and everything looks ok to me. But what do i know...

Thanks in advance!
Erich
Old 07-18-2004, 08:03 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, look for obvious stuff like metal sludge in the case, heavily discoloured or "burnt" smelling fluids, etc. I suppose any rubber seals can be checked for cracking and the stuff you can touch moved to check for play but I'm no transmission expert either, just some of the stuff I might do. . .

I've been told that manual transmissions are actually pretty simple once you understand how all the gearing works. There isn't as much to go wrong as people think, so chances are they're good unless you have reason to suspect otherwise (unlike automatics).
Old 07-18-2004, 08:18 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

You mentioned metal sludge - I noticed what appeared to be a magnet on the inner wall of the transaxle that appeared to be there to collect metal shavings. Of course it was covered in stuff...having never opened a tranny i'm not sure if thats a bad thing or normal on these cars....Anyone know about this?

Thanks!
Erich
Old 07-18-2004, 09:04 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

You're going to get metal on the mag for sure. Thats just normal waer, watch out for chunks. I think the syncros would b the first to go. Maybe if you took the thing to a tranny shop they could give you the skinny on the thing.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:12 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

I didn't see any chunks of metal, just a sludge like stuff. It doesn't look like this tranny has been taken apart, it just looks like someone opened up the side to take a look.

If i can't think of anything else perhaps i'll just take it to a trans shop and see what they say. Thanks for the idea!

Erich
Old 07-18-2004, 09:26 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

What about play? Anybody?

Your average tranny shop won't know much about this one, imo.
Old 07-18-2004, 09:41 PM
Porsche-O-Phile
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I think that a little sludge is okay but if it's a big giant glob of goo that's probably a problem (the metal has to come from someplace). I'd just take it in and have 'em give it a once-over. Don't let them give you that B.S. about "oh well we need to take it all apart at $100 an hour to tell you for sure". Just say give me the basic diagnosis if you can without ripping it apart for 20 bucks. If it ends up needing work, I'll appreciate the honesty and you just might get a return customer out of it.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:01 PM
RedRooster
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW:
My mechanic checked mine for play by grabbing the two "output side thingys"(Where the inside cv bolts), and rotating them both at the same time forward and backwards. As well as rocking them back an forth.
There was some play, I guess the smaller the play, the better.
I am having quite a bit of gear whine , especially noticable on decelleration.

Definetly worth having checked out by a P-car mechanic....

It if turns out okay... I am in the market for one

If you ship it out to me. I'll test it in my car
Old 07-18-2004, 11:49 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

I tried that with little play in all directions. I am trying to get an idea of the condition of this unit before i risk putting it in my car...If you were closer sure i'd throw it in your car

I hope its a winner! It would be nice to have a spare.
Erich
Old 07-19-2004, 02:34 AM
rihaa
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heres the deal, having just opened mine up and tried to rebuild it (these things are hard as hell unless you've got full on shop tools, most importantly a big press to get gears off shafts.)

The metal shavings are fine, there should be normal wear on the gears. Metal surfaces rubbing together, which is inevitable even with the layer of oil between them will produce wear. Also the little nubs on the synchros will wear away and also cause some flakes.

In terms of the output flanges on the differential (that connect to the CV's) there should be a little play in them in and out. This is unnavoidable, and will be taken out by the wheel bearing/CV joint when assembled. If you go ahead and pull the gearbox off without taking any of the actual gearbox apart you will be able to see inside the differential to see if there is any excess wear on the ring gear or spider gears.

Also with the gear box out you will be able to see any unusual wear paterns that exist on most of the gears/synchros or if any of your bearings are wearing very poorly. None of this involves taking off a single gear, and once you have the tranny out should only take you about 20 minutes to open it up.

There is also a special tool that attaches to the selector rod that allows you to go through and select all the gears. I don't think this would help diagnose synchro problems, but would tell you that all 5 gears are ok.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:41 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

I'll look over my shop manuals about taking apart the transaxle. At this point i'm happy that there is little movement on the output flanges.

I'll let you guys know what i find!

Thanks!
Erich
Old 07-20-2004, 05:27 PM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could also put it into gear, hold on to the CV flanges and have someone rotate the input shaft. If the diff is gone, the the CV flanges won't rotate. If there is very little play in the flanges and only a sludge on the magnet, then just put in new seals (especially the input shaft one, don't ask ) and install it. These things are fairly strong so long as it hasn't been abused, it's likely OK. Aside from actually road testing it, there isn't much way to verify the syncros.
Old 07-20-2004, 05:42 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

remove the right side diff cover by removing the drive flange (allen bolt in centre) and the outer 10 or so bolts. This will let you look at the very vital ring and pinion, and also allow you to really clean the inside. Easy to do and well worth it.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:18 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Dave - Thanks for the idea of putting in new seals...silly me i totally forgot about that one!

Skip - I have the cover off and the ring and pinion look good and spin well...

When i get some free time i'll road test this tranny. I think it may also have a different 5th gear ratio than my 924S. I could be wrong though...

Erich
Old 07-20-2004, 07:18 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Dave - Thanks for the idea of putting in new seals...silly me i totally forgot about that one!

Skip - I have the cover off and the ring and pinion look good and spin well...

When i get some free time i'll road test this tranny. I think it may also have a different 5th gear ratio than my 924S. I could be wrong though...

Erich

Quick Reply: How to tell the condition of a tranny...