Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer or Private Shop Service

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 09:05 PM
chitown928s4
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dealer or Private Shop Service

Well im outta options cant figured out what the deal is with my car. Tried everything I could think of. So I think I'm ready to tow her somewhere to get fixed. So the question should i just take her to the Porsche Dealer or private shop. My choices are very limited on private shops and they charge about as much as the dealer labor wise. So im leaning towards the dealership. If anyone knows of a mechanic in Chicago please post.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:40 PM
Jim @ EuroWerks
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

contact PCA in your area and ask them where.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:35 PM
seb928s
Three Wheelin'

www.rennmech.com try there.
Old 07-13-2004, 12:40 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Follow Irving Park road toward ORD. There is probably the best shop in this area for Porsches there. Sorry I couldnt make it out there, wife is just not in good shape right now, couldnt really leave the house. Contact Iloveporsches for the name of the place, it always slips my mind.
Old 07-13-2004, 08:27 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Matt- a very good call, I was very impressed with them- but they usually dont mess with non-race prep (and would really prefer not to work on water-cooled, but will). I have no personal experience with them, but some 930 guys I know are extremely pleased with thier work.
Plan to wait several months and spend lots of cash.

Last time I was in there for a "stop by" , they were very courteous and interested, but it was a 2 month wait for a time slot for a diagnosis- THIS IS the race season.

My favorite cigar shop is right there on 19 (IPR) near Elmhurst Rd, so I passsed by them often. Great humidor and prices BTW.

THIS WAS my experience for living many decades in the Chicagoland area, and I wouldnt trust any Porsche dealership in town with my car, UNLESS I wanted to part with a TON of cash and get snickered at while at the dealership waiting for my car to be done. The dealerships have rubbed me the wrong way and I would gladly travel to a different state to purchase a new Porsche if I was so inclined.

What a crowd..

I will highly recommend my old mechanic, he was fast, reasonable , honest, comprehensive and correct. You will have you car back in a few days.

But the kicker- He's in Springfield... If you're gonna tow it, whats a few more hours of towing.. Please if you contact him, let me know and I'll call him myself and let him know I recommended him to you. I get nothing for it, but it will help you out.

The Info: Bob Churchill, Eurosport, Spfld, IL. If you want more info, PM me as I know his shop has moved since I have to a better location in Spfld.
I know I have him listed in Rennmech.

Originally posted by Jim @ EuroWerks
contact PCA in your area and ask them where.
Jim, dont get me started on those guys...
I'm hoping they will help anyone besides themselves.
Old 07-13-2004, 11:09 AM
jimbo22s
Advanced

I took my car to Ogden Motorcar in Lisle. The price was reasonable and they got to it promptly.

Quick Reply: Dealer or Private Shop Service