Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please someone tell me they did the rennbay seats.

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004 | 09:07 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

Default please someone tell me they did the rennbay seats.

okay im in the midle of redoing my passenger seat with the vinyl rennbay covers...............my new ones dont have the freaking burlap sleeves sewed in that the wires go through to hog ring the center section to the springs......in my directions from the site, they show the newer seats with the replacement ones with the sleeves. what did you guys do?
Old 07-11-2004 | 10:39 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

I just went though the foam and vinyl, with the hog rings. It's held up for the past 6 months okay.

-Christian
Old 07-11-2004 | 10:46 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Are you talking about the seat bottoms?
Take the wire from the old seat and put it in the seam pocket from the top so the hog ring can have something besides the vinyl to pull against.
Old 07-11-2004 | 11:14 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

there are no extra flaps sewn in my new ones for the old wires to go through.......but it shows it in his tech article. im going to see what i can do.....hopefully it will be ok without it, but seems like it will look too flat instead of bulging a little for the sides.
Old 07-12-2004 | 12:02 PM
RJB
Addict
Rennlist Member

kennycoulter,

I wrote the article on the site and my seats have held up great. I did have sleaves in my seat for the wire to go through - are you sure yours did not? If you could post a picture of what you are seeing, maybe I can help.
Old 07-12-2004 | 12:30 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

i have no digital camera. i didnt know what the old seats looked like on the inside, so i didnt know the new ones were missing it. i had to finish putting the passenger seat together, but i dont have the seat bottom all the way in. the side bolsters in the top part were too large it seems for the vinyl to go over smoothly. i put plastic bags over the foam to get them to slide on too. where the rear flap hangs down and meets up with the long side vinyl piece..............it ripped from being stressed too much. i bought 3"yards" of extra vinyl, so im just going to have to wait til i go back home and have my mom cut me out and extra side piece and sew those back in and start over. hopefully she can sew some "sleeves" into the bottom piece so it can be pulled down between the foam. the seat in the article was different than my seats. i have an early car, and i do not have the giant flap on the back of the seat like the one in the article. other than that, my roomates think they look amazing. i had to tweak the wires on the seat frame.....the one closest to the door seemed bent and twisted, and also after installing the covers, my one roomate noticed the top seam under the "headrest area" was slanted a little........i think my seats were pulled so badly from the old leather, that it tweeked my frame a little.
Old 03-05-2007 | 04:45 PM
boxdoc2
Addict
Rennlist Member

A few years later, but I'm having the same problem. I cannot figure out how to attach the wire and the flap to the springs underneath the foam. Do I need to make a channel for the wire to go through first? Or do I just force the bull ring around the spring and the wire and somehow through the foam? Tying on the bull ring with some twine just doesn't make sense to me especially since I don't have a slot to put the old wires through. Thanks in advance for any help!!

Quick Reply: please someone tell me they did the rennbay seats.