Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parting out questions (update)

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2004, 04:12 AM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the cars home, but I'll only have 1 week to work on it and I'll be busy with work (OT) for a few weeks.
I'm thinking a motor drop party sometime in early August. I should be able to get just about everything else stripped off the car before that. If that damn job thing wouldn't keep getting in the way of my Porsche time.

Ken,
I think we met at one of the dyno days in Kirkland. I don't think your car was running at the time. Rich was there too. I would love your help!!

Rich,
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmm beeeeerrrrrrrrr gggooooooddddd!
Right on!

Cyrus,
Do you mean the dash cluster or the sensors??

I love this place!
Old 07-10-2004, 04:20 AM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Jason,

I just need the gauge with the temp gauge and fuel gauge, not the entire cluster. Also, if you could lend me the sensor in the picture to see if that's what's causing the incorrect readings I'd appreciate it a lot.
Old 07-10-2004, 04:33 AM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Name the date - Yakima is a good trip if I have the time - I'll bring the bird
Old 07-10-2004, 11:35 AM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Jason_86_951

I'm thinking a motor drop party sometime in early August.

If that damn job thing wouldn't keep getting in the way of my Porsche time.

Sounds great! Yeah.....that job thing seems to get in the way alot huh?

Old 07-10-2004, 11:45 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 115 Posts

I'm hoping my parts car shell will be ready for disposal pretty soon. I was thinking of leaving enough parts on it so a local Porsche junkyard would be interested in it, but maybe that's unrealistic. My problem is that the car is in my garage, so I thought I might leave the rear suspension on it so I can roll it out on some rear tires and a floor jack. Do these guys who pick up your shell use a flatbed with a crane or something? I could maybe get the thing out of the garage and then pull the rear spindles, etc.

Thanks,
-Joel.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:55 AM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

Joel,
I'd like to know that too. One of the first things that will be coming off is the entire suspension. It will be on blocks in my garage as well. I'm thinking that I will just have to completly strip everything off the tub. Then maybe find a couple of high weight dollies to roll it out to the scrappers truck. Or maybe attach a wood frame/skid to the bottom of the tub and drag it out. Should be fun either way.
Anyone know what to do here?
Old 07-10-2004, 12:01 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

Originally posted by Cyrus951
Jason,

I just need the gauge with the temp gauge and fuel gauge, not the entire cluster. Also, if you could lend me the sensor in the picture to see if that's what's causing the incorrect readings I'd appreciate it a lot.
Cyrus,
I'm not sure I could get it to you in a timely manner, I wasnt planning on gettinginto the interior for a while. Where is the thread talking about your problem, maybe I could help as I've had a few bugs in the same sensor in my car. PM me,
Jason

Last edited by Jason_86_951; 07-10-2004 at 12:21 PM.
Old 07-10-2004, 12:39 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

Originally posted by Skip
Name the date - Yakima is a good trip if I have the time - I'll bring the bird
Sometime in Aug, what kind of .....sauce....I mean beer for the bird.
Thanks Skip!!!
Old 07-10-2004, 04:26 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

When you strip these cars down to the shell, they are really pretty light. A couple of guys could probably just drag it out of your garage, draging it on the underbelly. If you don't want to scrape up your garage floor, I suppose you could put a scrap peice of plywood down for the underbelly to sit/drag on. I was by myself, and just threw a chain around the back of it and drug it out so tilt/flatbed truck from the recyler could back up to it, and winch it up on his truck. Very little scraping on my floor from it. No rolling suspension required. You might want to check with your local recycler, and see if he works it the same way before you do this. And they don't want to see or take, anything but metal when they come to get it. Clean as possible metal scrap.

This is what the first shell I did looked like coming out of garage. The next time I have recyler over to pick up another shell, I'll snap a pic of how/what he uses. Oh, and I did remove all the garbage from inside before pickup.

Old 07-10-2004, 04:40 PM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Wow that car's depressing.

Do the recyclers charge to dispose of the shell?

edit: My dumbass needs to read the whole thread
Old 07-10-2004, 04:57 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Jfrahm
I'm hoping my parts car shell will be ready for disposal pretty soon. I was thinking of leaving enough parts on it so a local Porsche junkyard would be interested in it, but maybe that's unrealistic.

Thanks,
-Joel.
Ya might want to check with them first to see what they may/may not take. I doubt they will mess with a car with very many "good" parts already off it.

More pics?
The first engine I pulled, had to use my small floor jack, blocked that up, moved car up in stages. Block points used are ones in back of front wheel wells, and forward of rear wells. Must position blocks carefully to keep from damaging rocker panels while jacking car up and down!

I dropped engine down on rolling platform, makes engine removal easier. Front of engine was already taken apart on this one, but can still be removed from car with it intact. You might want to use the flywheel lock, and break loose the crank pulley before removing engine, if your planning on any engine teardown. Just makes it a little easier to deal with later.

My first parts car ready to be stripped/engine removed. After this, I bought a long frame jack, so I didn't have to block up my floor jack. Looks scary, but it is very stable. I stripped alot of this car in this position, before I lowered it down further.

I've rambled on enough!
I had fun........YOU WILL TOO..........THANKS!
Old 07-10-2004, 06:09 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

Ken,
Thanks for the pictures that just what I wanted to see. Today is my garage cleaning day/ building shelf space for all the parts. I'm putting together a 3-tiered system thats 12' long and to the ceiling. Should be enough space (I hope). The fun will begin soon!!
Jason
Old 07-11-2004, 04:16 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

UPDATE:
Well I've got the garage all cleaned out, shelving built, work table built, and bugbombed. I will be going to get the car in a few minutes, and then off to homedepot for some blocks/2x8's. After thats all said and done I will take a $hit load off pictures and create a web page. I'm thinking instead off listing all the parts availble I will list the parts that are not (should be easier). I will also list who has dibs on what.

Should see a post tonight-ish.

Thanks for everyones help.
Jason
Old 07-11-2004, 09:18 PM
Jason_86_951
Drifting

Stage 1 COMPLETE!!!!
Old 07-11-2004, 09:43 PM
kennycoulter
Drifting

i really wanted that car.

Quick Reply: Parting out questions (update)