Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Costco would not sell me HR rated tires for my 924s

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 09:22 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Costco refused to sell me 16" tires for my 944 since the stock wheels were 15". I even tried to explain that my 16" wheels WERE an option (Mine didn't come that way from the factory but they were an option) but they would only sell me 15" tires, I was tempted to buy them and watch the idiot try to install them! After checking Tirerack when I got home, I realized that Tirerack was cheaper, even with shipping/mounting/balancing, and ordered them from tirerack. They came in 30 hours, a month later I ordered tires for my wife's car (to replace the POS Michelin's that were annoyingly horible from day !), they came in the next day. I've bought a half dozen sets of tires from TR in the last 5-6 years and I've never had a problem with shipping time, never more than 3 days (including a set I had them shave), their "recommended installers" are another story.
Old 07-07-2004, 09:39 PM
silver44
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I almost has a similar experience with the "Tire Rack" I went to order my wet set and they questioned my choice. I explained to them my purpose and I think they noted it on the order or something and shipped them to me...but at first they acted like they weren't going to sell them to me.

Also there are a lot of inanimate object oriented sales people out there who don't really understand what they are doing...I say take the path of least hassle...find someone else to do you work I have had great experience with the tire rack personally.

Don
Old 07-07-2004, 11:27 PM
Mike C.
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No Sale Tires at Costco

I had the same thing happen a few years ago. It seems incredible until you remember what a litigious society this is. One bad lawsuit can cancel out a lot of profit. Luckily, it's easy to find other places to buy tires where your money is green enough....
Old 07-07-2004, 11:30 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Vrey true.. Its a shame we cant take our own futures in our own hands.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:54 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Its a shame we cant take our own futures in our own hands."

Well, you can if you'll take responsibility for the consequences of your actions. But way, way too many people end up suing everyone and their cousin when they make a mistake, like spilling hot coffee on themselves! That's why they had that Japanese guy sign the release, but even then, it's not a bulletproof shield against a lawsuit if the guy ends up in a wreck and dies.

Ok, one thing that hasn't been brought up is the differences between an HR and VR tyre exists even at speeds lower than their speed-rating! The higher-speed VR tyre tends to have a stiffer casing to resist flexing and heat-buildup at high-speeds. However, at lower speeds, the VR tyre will still be stiffer and run with less heat build up. These speed ratings are in a straight line only! So with the high-performance cars we have, it's possible to stress an HR tyre with enthusiastic driving such as cornering in the mountains with maximum-braking, such that you'll get very close to if not over the durability limits of an HR tire. Go for the VR tyre...
Old 07-08-2004, 03:49 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Well said Danno.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:42 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These speed ratings are in a straight line only!

No, they are actually done a test drum and the tire NEVER sees the pavement for high speed testing. If you could see the deflection of say, a 215/70/15 for instance you would slow WAY down!

like spilling hot coffee on themselves!

Actually, she sued them because they refused to pay the medical bills. They had been warned a number of times about the temp of their coffee or they might have won. In this case the lawsuit wasnt really frivolous. Had McD's paid her medical bills they could have avoided a large settlement (which was struck WAY down from what was reported).

A better example is a gentleman who sued Cooper Tire. He needed 4 tires but refused and instead opted for only two. The car was an older Camaro so they replaced the worst two and put them on the rear. A few months later one of the non-replaced front tires blew out and th car rolled over. This joker sued Cooper (and won) because "they should have known to put the tires on the front." For reasons like this, tire changers sometimes refuse your "green" money.
Old 07-08-2004, 02:44 PM
The_Phantom
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my 2 cents is that a great tire for 944s and 924s is the Bridgestone Potenza RE 950 H Rated. When I put them on my 944 the road noise was 5 dBs quieter than the previous tires (I know that for sure because I tested it with a SPL meter). The Potenza's have lasted well also, I have about 20,000 miles on them and they are still quiet and have tread left.

Quick Reply: Costco would not sell me HR rated tires for my 924s