Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/T Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 09:06 PM
lilredpo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/T Removal Question

Trying to replace the dampner.

Took GregRX2 and Shawn944's advice...spray, twist, spray, twist,spray, twist and got the sensors out.

Have CV's and all linkages free except two trans lines. Took out all four bell housing bolts and all 3 torque convert bolts and marked relation to plate.

Two questions.

1. How do I remove the upper hex-head trans mount bolts? Can I remove what looks like a cross bar and lower with trans?

2. Do I have to loosen or remove the spline shaft at the torque converter end? Not sure here, but I can see in the small inspection hole what looks tile a shaft.

Thanks again,
Ray
Old 07-06-2004, 05:27 AM
Dlefko
Burning Brakes

yo,

1. yes, the best route is to remove that cross member bar with the tranny still connected, there are 2 self tapping bolts, one on each end. What i did was just prop a couple of jackstands at each end, supporting the crossmember, removed the two bolts, and teeter-tottered the crossmember down until the tranny was on the floor. Be ready, that tranny is one heavy ****. once the tranny is free, you can remove that top mount easily, check the mount bushing, and retorque it.

2. I assume you are speaking in reference to the little circlip you will take out at the spline located at the front end once you've reached the damper. I don't recall there being a spline end at the rear near the torque conver. Even if there is, i never messed with that part when i did this same job. I believe that once you've removed the three torque converter bolts, and removed the bellhousing bolts the rear of the driveshaft should be free.
Old 07-06-2004, 05:44 AM
Dlefko
Burning Brakes

oh yeah...
Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2004, 04:46 PM
Dlefko
Burning Brakes

update? how's it goin so far?
Old 07-07-2004, 07:25 PM
lilredpo
Pro

At a stand still. Looked again last night. Unfortunately, (depending on how you look at it) I am off to Florida for 11 days on vacation and not able to get to it u ntil after the 19th.

Thanks for everyone's help and I'll definitely post back once I'm on it. Please 'subscribe' to this post.

Thanks again,
Ray
Old 08-12-2004, 02:35 PM
lilredpo
Pro

Thanks to everyone's help, escpecially Dlefko , greg rx2 , shawn 944 and Socal Driver , I’m well underway. I’ve removed the battery, ground strap, speed sensors, starter, exhaust and transmission.

Now I need to move the bell housing and torque tube back.

Could I please have clarification of these steps?

Step 1. Disconnect dampner from engine. What does this mean? I can see a toothed ring bolted with hex-heads to the dampner through the starter hole. Looks like only one other small access hole and about nine bolts. Do I rotate the engine from up front to get all nine or is there another access point.

Step 2. Disconnect the coupler. I assume this is the clamp/bolt on the actual dampner. From what I can tell, this is toward the back of the car on the dampner and I cannot see how or where to access the bolt from while on the car. Is this to premature? Could this be done after the bell housing and torque tube is moved back?

Step 3. Remove bell-housing bolts. Looks like 5-6 19mm bolts, easy to get to.

Step 4. Move bell housing and torque tube back and rotate at same time. Seems self-explanatory.

Step 5. Remove internal clip that holds BH to TT.

Step 6. Replace Dampner, REINSTALL Clip (should I replace w/new?).

Step 7. Rotate and pull forward, then reattach BH….

One last question / observation…do I need to use any special lubricants (that doesn’t sound good), grease, etc on the shaft or otherwise and what are the recommended TORQUE SPECS.

Almost there, thanks again to all who have helped along the way!!

Cheers,
Ray

Old 08-12-2004, 03:26 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

hey like i said in the PM.. if you need some help im here if you give me a day... If you are still working on it next week, i'm around all week.

Quick Reply: A/T Removal Question