Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a sloppy steering shaft rattle??

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 11:34 AM
rehansamee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does a sloppy steering shaft rattle??

Hi

I get a very loud rattle (from somewhere in the back) every time I drive over a bumpy road. I've had the exhaust / gearbox mountings checked and all is OK.

The next item on the list is the drive mechanism for the cab top. As it happens, my car is with the wrench for changing the top and I asked him to check out the motors / cables / gearbox in the cab drive mechanism.

He informs me today that the rattle is coming from the steering shaft!! I know there is a very slight play (not more than 2 - 3mm) in the steering -- but I cannot believe that a little play can cause such a loud rattle that appears to come from the back of the car.

The wrench has not opened the cab top as yet, so I am at a complete loss ....

Anyone else with a slack steering shaft that rattles loud enough to wake the dead??

Regards,

Rehan
Old 07-05-2004, 01:33 PM
Stan944
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How can the steering shaft be the source of your problem if the noise is coming from the back?
Old 07-05-2004, 03:51 PM
rehansamee
Advanced

Hi Stan944

Thanks for clarifying the obvious ... perhaps my disbelief at having been told that it was the steering shaft did not come across in my earlier message ... apologies for that.

Before I tighten the screw arround my wrench I just needed confirmation from others' experiences with a (very) slightly loose steering shaft.

Can anyone confirm that a loose steering shaft will NOT rattle extremely loudly?

Regards,

Rehan
Old 07-05-2004, 08:27 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

A worn/loose steering link will rattle. This is the shaft that goes from the end of the steering column and the steering rack. It's designed with pressed and staked in U-joints and has to be replaced with a new unit.

Quick Reply: Does a sloppy steering shaft rattle??