Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

924s transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2004, 02:20 AM
hep53
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 924s transmission problem

I also posted this on the 924.org board, but figured that maybe you guys could also help out, also.

Ok here's the problem: I have something (possibly severely) wrong with my 5 speed manual transmission. I have had the car about a month and the transmission seemed fine up until very recently. First, it became difficult to get the car into Reverse. When driving the car today, I could not get the car into reverse at all, and it seems the other gears have failed as well. Here's what happened: I got going in 1st and then it would not shift into second. As I tried to get the car into a gear to get it off the road, I heard a semi-loud "clunk." I did get the car to drive in 2nd gear, which now seems to be almost any position that the shifter is in. Oh and neutral doesn't work either, except by depressing the clutch. I would appreciate any help/advise on this.

Also, the shifter feels totally out of whack, if that helps any. Like it is not following the same lines as before....really loose, all over the place. BTW, the car is a 1987 model.
Old 07-04-2004, 02:43 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Parts of the shift linkage fail. The pin that is on the shift lever and the cross over link bolts above the trans and the pointed bolt that attaches the long linkage to the trans linkage.

Also the rubber center clutch discs will start to fail and thow out chunks in between the disc, pressure plate and flywheel making it next to impossible to get the car into gear.

Do you smell burning rubber? Can you start the car in gear with out it trying to take off?
Old 07-04-2004, 03:00 AM
AznDrgn
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has happened to me before. Check the linkage connection above the tranny. There is a clamp that holds the linkage to the shift selector in the tranny and if the bolt comes loose the clamp will come off and the shifter will be useless. If you have a copy of the 924 haynes manual there is a diagram on pg 152 and the part I'm talking about is the pivot arm just to the right of the line marked 15. If you don't find it let me know and I'll try and get a picture of it.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:36 PM
hep53
3rd Gear

Thanks for the quick replies. No smell of burning rubber that I notice. When I start the car in gear(it's apparently always in 2nd now), It does try to take off.

I do not have the 924 Haynes manual, just the 944 one. I would appreciate the picture of what you are talking about. If it is that bolt/clamp from the linkage to the tranny, is that a cheap fix? Can I do it myself? Note: I have very limited mechanical skills :^)
Old 07-05-2004, 02:57 PM
hep53
3rd Gear

to the top.... anyone have an idea on price for reconnecting the linkage to the shift selector?

Quick Reply: 924s transmission problem