Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

belt tension info

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2004 | 06:21 PM
pwille944
Advanced

Default belt tension info

Help, I called VERTEX AUTO TO BUY yet more parts, and inquired about a "Krikit '" tensioning tool. I asked whether or not these were accurate, he had not heard of this so he put me on with a mechanic they had their on staff. He told me for the timing belt to tension it until I could not turn the water pump pully by hand. Balance shaft belt he said install and leave it loose. I questioned this as I constantly hear how critical the tension is and he told me absolutly, this is not rocket science they, do it this way every day, in their shop.This is probably the 4th way I have heard. Common sense would tell me to make it snug to allow for some expansion and stretch. What do you guys think... Red
Old 07-01-2004 | 06:27 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

A comparison was done between teh actual Porsche tensioning tool and the Krikit model KR-1. You can pickone up from any NAPA autoparts store. They are reasonably accurate aslong as your taking the tension reading in the correct location. I used the Kricket tensioning method about 11 months ago, no problems yet. Make sure you take the reading a few times in the same location to ensure accurate results.

This link is a very good resource for information on this area.

http://www.arnnworx.com/tensioning_belts.htm
Old 07-01-2004 | 06:41 PM
potent951turbo
iPod Tamer
Rennlist Member

Vertex sells the belts separately but also as a kit. Does one really need everything in the kit or is replacing the belt sufficient?
Old 07-01-2004 | 06:52 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

potent, the timing belt job easily turns into one of those 'while im in there' type jobs where you may end up replacing almost the entire front end. Its a good idea to change the rollers if you find excess play in the bearings, or are not sure the last time they were changed (or ever changed for that matter). The waterpump is the same deal. Im not sure what the replacement interval on the H20 pump is, but if it fails a month after you just changed the belt, youll need to pull everything apart again. While your changing all the belts and rollers and whatnot, its also a good idea to also replace the front seals.

In my opinion, if your going through the trouble to change the belts in the firstplace, it would suck to have a bad roller seize up and break/slip a belt a month later.
Old 07-01-2004 | 07:05 PM
Tony K
Burning Brakes

I used to live in Miami and have been to Vertex numerous times, used to buy parts from them in person. They are quite shady, especially Gilbert. Every single Porsche owner I knew in Miami avoided them like the plague.

As for the Krikit gauge, I'll second that, used properly, it is very consistent. IIRC, Pete tensioned my 944's belts with it - 25k miles no problem. Lotus Esprit owners have been using the Krikit gauge for years on their (delightfully exposed) timing belts.

I'd stay away from that guy's advice and business.

Cheers,

Tony
Old 07-01-2004 | 08:05 PM
Geo
Race Director

Well, I have the tool and can tell you that every time I've used it I've had to employ the "average of ten measurements" approach while throwing out the ones that deviated wildly.

I'm wondering if the tension is really all that critical since it's so bloody hard to even get a consistent reading.
Old 07-01-2004 | 08:14 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Honestly, I think that it's ok if the belts are a tad on the loose side. The engine expands a great deal when hot and really tightens up the belt. Pull the cover off a hot engine and see for yourself how tight the belts are. If you have them too tight when the engine is cold, I could see them stretching to the point that they snap. As long as they aren't so loose that they could jump a tooth I think you'll be ok.
The key with the Kricket is consistency. You have to use it exactly the same way everytime. I check each belt four or five times to be sure I get consistent results.
It's nice to know that my belt job on Tony's car has gone 25K miles. I guess I did something right!

Quick Reply: belt tension info